Author Topic: Buckfizzturbos Build Thread: VW Bora > Air Suspension > BBS RS  (Read 149241 times)

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
I've wondered this myself in the past as obviously it's a major structural change to the vehicle.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
The work on this is just getting better and better! With extending the turrets, does that mean you are going to repaint the engine bay? If so, do you think there will be any changes there as well?

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Cheers dan

Naturally with the work going on like you said it will need painting but for now we will just protect it from rusting and keep the bonnet closed. Lol.

I do have plans to smooth the bay and vr it but that's the last thing on the list to do. For now aslong as the abf works well under the bonnet won't get touched.

Next on the list is US parts including bumpers, boot and splitter. Then will do some small adjustments to the body and get it painted. Im hoping to get it inside at U.D 2013 so with splits, full on air ride stance, recaro interior and a show car outside I'm hoping this will be possible.
LowCollective - East Anglias Premier German Car Event - 07/09/14 IP14 6AT

Www.lowcollective.com please search 'low collective cars' on Facebook

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
I've wondered this myself in the past as obviously it's a major structural change to the vehicle.

Yep and I think it will cause hassle with the DVLA  :undecided:

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
When Matt is finished wit it u won't even know its been done.

I take it you have all seen his air cooled mk3???

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Cheers dan

Naturally with the work going on like you said it will need painting but for now we will just protect it from rusting and keep the bonnet closed. Lol.

I do have plans to smooth the bay and vr it but that's the last thing on the list to do. For now aslong as the abf works well under the bonnet won't get touched.

Next on the list is US parts including bumpers, boot and splitter. Then will do some small adjustments to the body and get it painted. Im hoping to get it inside at U.D 2013 so with splits, full on air ride stance, recaro interior and a show car outside I'm hoping this will be possible.

Sounds like this build is already tumbling way out of the realms of the daily and hurtling towards show car status with full speed lol! In all seriousness, this car was sick enough when you first bought it, and its gonna be super sick when its finished! I can't help but wonder if we will just come full circle and see the MK3 up for sale next year because you want something that can be used as a daily lol :) Great work though!

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
^^^^ :laugh:

Cheers Dan. I defo won't be selling it if it ever got to that stage( it won't) I'd just get another 1 lol. Mk3 golfs r my kind of car. Although it is going a little out of control everything is still based around daily use. The cover will go over the install so not to damage it when I load it up with whatever and the air will make driving around speedbump riddled roads a problem of the past. I'm having Matt underseal all the arches when he removes the shocks again so they will last the test of time and will do the rest of the floor when I get it back. Getting the floor ready for daily use!!! No painted, scared to use floor here!!!

I honestly want to make this car show worthy but it's aim is still to be a daily. Still unsure wether a vr lump is the right thing to do with fuel costs. Just love that sound!!!

As for the previous queries regarding the dvla I had my mk2 MOT'd the other day and my mate said it won't make a difference. He used rays body dropped jetta as a example. It's been built mot'd and put on th road without dvla. I really think that aslong as its mot-able it won't be a problem.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
What ever you do - Don't sell that mk2.

Like this project and that is some quality work. A big fan of air ride myself  :smiley:
:)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
This is going to be insane when finished, it almost seems a shame that it'll be being used daily. Daily driving ruins paintwork :cry:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
I take it you have all seen his air cooled mk3???

Yes.  How does that cope with the requirement for a cat on that age of vehicle?

Doing radical things to vehicles that are *possible* is relatively easy.  Making something that passes an age-correct MOT is another thing.

Cutting the turrets on this car won't cause problems with the DVLA.  Notching the chassis monocoque is starting to intrude into this space, although you would need to talk to someone from the DVLA, read very carefully and probably get it inspected to confirm what impact it has on the car's identity.

The thing that is a big no-no is cutting about the firewall on the car.

Frankly the modifications to this strike me as dysfunctional and pointless, but hey - it's your money.  Some people restore double-decker buses for fun: the world is full of weirdos.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.