Author Topic: Where has all my water gone???  (Read 4157 times)

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2012, 13:29 »
Topping up with water is fine. Especially in this weather.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2012, 13:36 »
Topping up with water is fine. Especially in this weather.

Coolant also helps prevent corrosion.
However i would only put water in if it's all dissappearing, at least until i found the source of the leak!
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline bob23

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2012, 15:02 »
When I know where it all went I was planning on flushing the system, replacing the rad and using coolant, just to update gone to it today and there is no water in the bottle, haven't topped it up yet to see how much it has lost.

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2012, 15:12 »
The water fairies have drunk it all.

Offline MK3 Menace

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 336
  • 98 GTI, big changes are coming...
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2012, 15:35 »
When I know where it all went I was planning on flushing the system, replacing the rad and using coolant, just to update gone to it today and there is no water in the bottle, haven't topped it up yet to see how much it has lost.

Mine did the same as this and it was leaking out the side of the tank next to the wing. Where it bolts to the mount. Check all round the tank for leaks.

Offline VR6_Wherry

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,938
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2012, 15:38 »
Mine is leaking too, I filled it up yesterday drove a bout 5 mins. Stopped with the engine running then drove round the block and when i came back there was a puddle where i was stopped. Need to source the leak also but at least i know it's not the head!

Offline bob23

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2012, 15:40 »
The water fairies have drunk it all.

Yeah... Sure :rolleyes:

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2012, 17:39 »
Its leaking from the bottom right corner of your radiator i bet.... Take a look for wet patches with a tourch.   :wink:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline andy-gti84

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 428
  • lowanslow
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2012, 20:06 »
got a 8v as well an mine is doing the same have to fill it ever 3 days. just got my self new water pump,thermst,-flang that sittn at front of block. going to get it all sorted next week.

Offline bob23

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
Re: Where has all my water gone???
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2012, 23:23 »
Its leaking from the bottom right corner of your radiator i bet.... Take a look for wet patches with a tourch.   :wink:

I'll have a look on my next day off, if that is all it is then I'm not bothered as I will be changing the rad anyway.

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes: