Author Topic: £10 Reward for the answer!  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
£10 Reward for the answer!
« on: 31 January 2012, 16:50 »
Im at my wits end!

The car:

1984 Mk2 golf, 5 door, burgandy on a B-Plate
1300, 8v, Pierburg carb, points and condenser disributor type.

The problem:

I've done a full service and cam belt, had the car running beautifully, ran smooth and quiet with no rattles, took it for a drive and it was lovely, went to start it 6 hours later and it'll turn over and start, but the second you let go of the key it cuts out. i know what your thinking ignition switch right? Bought a new one, no change, i got a new coil, no change, i changed a fuel pump relay and it eventually did start and ran a bit doggy, very low revs then cut out and wouldn't start again. I'm at a loss now. Battery and alternator are a possibility as the car only cut out once i removed the jump leads. Any opinions would be magic as alternators are expensive and i'm at my wits end, this has been going on now since october and my cheap reliable runabout has become a nightmare! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP!

cheers, ian

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: £10 Reward for the answer!
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2012, 16:57 »
Have you tried a multimeter to make sure the voltage from the alt & battery are at the level they should be?

Also have you made sure the preheater pipe is in place as that affected my lads driver with peirsburg...

also make sure the coolant level is topped up as again when his water pump was knacked it ran like a b!tch.... something to do with the heat from the pipes switches something in the piers unit!!

Don't know if any of these are related but at least they are free to check!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2012, 17:01 »
Might also be worth checking the cam timing.

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2012, 17:12 »
Have you tried a multimeter to make sure the voltage from the alt & battery are at the level they should be?

Also have you made sure the preheater pipe is in place as that affected my lads driver with peirsburg...

also make sure the coolant level is topped up as again when his water pump was knacked it ran like a b!tch.... something to do with the heat from the pipes switches something in the piers unit!!

Don't know if any of these are related but at least they are free to check!!

Voltmeter reads 14v from alternator but battery does want replacing. i have tried a new battery off my mates mk2 but no change, the carb is deffinatly sound. It's probably worth mentioning that every time i try and start it, it fires and runs, as long as i keep the starter turning over, it idles perfectly and revs with no hessitation smoothly. You get to the point where you think you can let go of the key as theres no way it can just stop running but it does every time, i Have installed a brand new switch and tried an entirely different key and barrell. Also hot wired it to no joy.

Gay!  :angry:

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2012, 17:14 »
oh and cam timing. i checked it and had someone else check it. everything is spot on!

thanks for the replies!  :wink:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2012, 17:22 »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2012, 17:28 »
Does it start if you turn the electrics on then jump the soleniod on the starter motor from the battery?

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2012, 17:32 »
not tried that one yet! something for me to do tomorrow.

cheers for the link, will have a further check around!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2012, 20:32 »
MMMMM me tinks the starter motor needs a closer inspection it feeds a open circuit to the whole coil ignition system!
Take off all connectors on the starter trace all wires inspect the wires clean any oxidised contacts every where!
Get a multimeter check each cable for voltage whilst a mate cranks her over to establish where its feeding a positive to the electrical system and check after it dies then you at least know where and what cable should be open after cranking as I suspect a open circuit feed is being cut right after you crank?

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2012, 20:54 »
long time since ive worked on one of these.  but with points based ignition there is a thing called a ballast resistor sometimes

during normal running the coil is powerd via the ballast resistor,  unde crancking the coil is powerd usally from a feed off the starter selonoid,  if the ballast resitor fails as soon as you stop crancking the enigne the sparks stop.

worth checking if it has one, if it has to test it just short the bugger out and see if it runs.   dont leave it shorted out as the coil will fail quickly
« Last Edit: 31 January 2012, 23:43 by danny_p »
all the VW's have gone bar 1.