Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71558 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #830 on: 15 January 2013, 20:44 »
Rear cassette less than 6 months old exploded on a night ride tonight... nice 4 mile walk back in the mud and snow

EDIT: Turned out to be simply frozen solid! When I got back I poured hot water on the back wheel to clean it so I could take it inside to rip the cassette of and it just started engaging as I poured ticktickticktickticktick!
« Last Edit: 15 January 2013, 23:15 by Sam »

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #831 on: 17 January 2013, 10:41 »
Must have been a cold night! Do you reckon the grease froze?

Am doing forest of dean uplift next sat if anyone's up for it

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #832 on: 17 January 2013, 10:44 »
You'll have fun! It's great up there. Watch out for the wild boar! They're big and not scared of people. Make sure you do a lap of the blue trail too or at least the last section it's great.
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #833 on: 17 January 2013, 10:57 »
Must have been a cold night! Do you reckon the grease froze?

Am doing forest of dean uplift next sat if anyone's up for it

Well I powered across around 4 miles of muddy, snowey and wet fields then hit a road section. I tried to scrape some of the mud off my rig before I set off but it was frozen so carried on. Biked along the road and free wheeled for around 5 seconds into a gateway and it wouldn't engage. Cleaned the bike down with cold water when I got back and took off the back wheel and had a look at it in the light and it still wansnt engaging. Took it back outside to clean with warm water to get all the mud off properly and it began to spin like your pedals do with water and then suddenly started clicking... all working fine!  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #834 on: 17 January 2013, 15:17 »
Frozen freehub's are a pain! Try taking a pee on it in future as a trailside fix!

Frozen gear cables are almost as iritating. I remember back it the days of elastomers, my forks would go a bit solid in the cold.

Its predominantly water/moisture contamination that causes the problem. So servicing problem parts is all thats needed, and if possible, keep your bike in the house (heated) to dry it out between rides.

It will all be ok once the rain returns!

Me and a mate took the DH bikes for a night time push/ride yesterday evening. We were suffering withdrawls as our local uplift service has been off for a couple of months due to the weather. The bike bikes were great fun, but hard work on our regular trails! They need a touch more gravity assistance...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #835 on: 18 January 2013, 11:38 »
What dh bike have you got?

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #836 on: 19 January 2013, 00:27 »
Registerd interest in the London to Brighton! I say I'll do it every year! And never do! This is my year!

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #837 on: 19 January 2013, 12:43 »
You'll have fun! It's great up there. Watch out for the wild boar! They're big and not scared of people. Make sure you do a lap of the blue trail too or at least the last section it's great.

One space left last time i looked Steve  :wink:

Will look out for the boars! I've had training sprinting away from the rabies dog's in Nepal so should be ok  :grin:

Hopefully will do all the trails but the others are bringing their dh rigs so might be doing the blue one solo

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #838 on: 19 January 2013, 13:01 »
My bike will be all clean and packed up then otherwise I would have joined you.

The blue should only take you 30 mins and is worth it for the last descent.
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #839 on: 19 January 2013, 19:02 »
What dh bike have you got?

Had it nearly six months. Lots of fun.