Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71388 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #690 on: 26 August 2012, 22:25 »
nice one rob, cheers. Kinda echoes what I have read elsewhere

as it goes I won a new tracer 2 frame on ebay this afternoon and should be picking it up on friday  :smiley:

yeah I was looking at the carbine too but the lack of iscg mount put me off in the end, plus i'm a bit skeptical of carbon frames as a proper layup is extremely labour intensive and a skilled task and I can't see them doing this over in china tbh for the cost and quantities they knock them out in. At least the ally Intense's are still hand welded in USA, not many frames are nowadays.

One selling point for the tracer was the G1 dropouts that mean you can convert to 650b  :cool:

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #691 on: 27 August 2012, 00:19 »
The carbine does look nice, but on speaking to the owner of the only one ive seen in the flesh- it was on its 2nd rear end due to a break near a pivot  :shocked:

The weight saving would be nice, but its a premium price for an unproven product... ok if your sponsored! A friend of a friend working with composites for the red bull F1 team is not convinced carbon is a more suitable material for bike frames than alloy.... so will await more feedback before investing my hard earned! Although the carbon nomad has been on the go for a while now  :undecided:

Anyway, hopefully you'll get on well with the tracer!  Colour?

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #692 on: 27 August 2012, 00:38 »
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #693 on: 27 August 2012, 10:22 »
It's gunmetal candy black over raw aluminium, or grey  :grin:

I would have chosen something brighter but couldn't say no to 650 off retail, with a free hope headset and the warranty hasn't been registered yet.

Yeah the nomads seem to be strong enough and proven, I'm just a bit weary and all the bare frames I have seen don't seem to have been laid up very neatly.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2012, 11:07 by veedubgti16v »

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #694 on: 27 August 2012, 15:07 »
Is it from Gloucester? Seem the add on Pinkbike. Looks nice
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #695 on: 27 August 2012, 15:34 »
maybe! its on a bit of blue tarpaulin in the pics

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #696 on: 27 August 2012, 15:40 »
Thats it.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #697 on: 28 August 2012, 11:55 »
Right, with my car insurance, car tax and rent due with no current source of income I thought I may aswell ignore all that and spend some pennies on my bikey. So the gearing is fooked, took it to my local bike man and he said he had never seen a chain stretched as much as mine and was confused as to how it actually got up hills. So ordered a nice collection of 3 new raceface chainrings, shimano xt cassette, new chain and cables. Got it all of chainreaction and managed to save £80 buy buying sale stuff. Will take a pic when its all delivered but here is the middle cog to give you an idea of how worn it all is...

Moving on, here are some pics of where I have been/why I haven't been on the forum for a good few weeks. Been chilling in the South of France, lots of wine, swimming, sunbathing and biking. If the pics dont work just holla cos they are from fb

« Last Edit: 28 August 2012, 12:01 by Sam »

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #698 on: 28 August 2012, 16:56 »
Thats a little worn :grin: If it was mine Id be inclined to drop 2 of the front rings, saves on weight and less parts to break. Also gets you to man up and not use the granny gear :grin:

Looks like some nice riding in France :cool:

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #699 on: 28 August 2012, 17:07 »
mines goin in for a service! new brakes etc! :)

any one been to Bedgebury Forest ?

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under