Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71438 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #680 on: 20 August 2012, 11:50 »
I was gonna sell my vw mk4 specific cycle rack if your interested?

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #681 on: 20 August 2012, 12:53 »
Could well be intersted. pm me the details
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #682 on: 20 August 2012, 13:14 »
I use a Mont Blanc boot mounted one on my mk3 which is designed for 3 bikes, it doesn't have straps like most and instead has two flat bars that hook over the boot leading edges and works very well.

Shown on their website on mk4 Golfs
 http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers

« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 13:17 by thai-wronghorse »

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #683 on: 22 August 2012, 21:35 »
Ive got Thule 9502 tow bar mounted and its good :smiley:

Other news got my new wheels :cool: and a Fox DOSS :cool: :cool: :lipsrsealed:

Wheels are tubeless and strong and the DOSS is just sublime.

Tested it all out at Afan forest today and rode 'ty wall' trail which was awesome. Nice fast flowing single track .
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #684 on: 23 August 2012, 10:14 »
Good job with the dropper post! Keep us posted on how you get on with it, im keen to hear more about the Fox post now its becoming available.

Noticing the benefit of the tubeless? Did you use a sealant in the tyre too?

Its a very trick looking bike now!  :cool:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #685 on: 23 August 2012, 12:09 »
Agreed, that does look very sweet.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #686 on: 23 August 2012, 13:20 »
Good job with the dropper post! Keep us posted on how you get on with it, im keen to hear more about the Fox post now its becoming available.

Noticing the benefit of the tubeless? Did you use a sealant in the tyre too?

Its a very trick looking bike now!  :cool:

Dropper post is sweet, I prefer the 2 drop to a infinite dropping post makes it easier to get it at a nice height on the trail.

Everyone says the remote lever is massive but its not that big. A little bigger than the gravity dropper or Joplin post levers Ive had before and the two step works a treat. Plus running 1x10 Ive got it under the bars on the left hand side so its not different to running a 2x setup.

Wheels seem sweet about the same weight as my old ones but much stronger and took a few beatings yesterday :lipsrsealed: Ive got sealant in the tyres.

Agreed, that does look very sweet.

Cheers :afro: Hopefully this one will last longer than the last one :lipsrsealed: :angry:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #687 on: 23 August 2012, 18:25 »
looks sweet steve, much weight saving on the wheels/tyres? I chickened out on the LUST's in the end

rob, any chance of a small review on your tracer?

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #688 on: 23 August 2012, 18:47 »
Not much as the rims are stiffer/heavier. I never ordered the lust but got sent them due to the normal UST high rollers being out of stock.

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #689 on: 26 August 2012, 21:32 »
looks sweet steve, much weight saving on the wheels/tyres? I chickened out on the LUST's in the end

rob, any chance of a small review on your tracer?

Certainly.

As it stands today: (following today's blat around the Kirrouchtree black route)

Ive had the frame a year now, and recently spend a bit of dollar on new drivetrain and forks, both of which im very happy with. As a bike I'm very pleased with it. The pivot bearing hardware has lasted so far,  and I would have expected to need to replace it by now, using the lower link grease ports to re grease it every few months has obviously helped. The direct mount front mech is great, and Ive recently gone to a 142x12 rear drop out arrangement, which im enjoying.

Its a heavy frame at just over 8lb I think, however, once built with the high end kit thats on it, the effect of that can be minimised. But with a dropper post and 160 fork you would be hard pushed to get it below 31lb. Its currently about 31.5lb clad in top end stuff, and ti bolted throught. But is light as a batter-able enduro bike. Two weeks on lifts in the alpes on Enduro and DH trail was no problem for it.

The ride is great, as far as my experience of bikes goes. I came from a TNT link turner five before this, and its an improvement over that. Ive been running it in the 165mm travel option for a long time now, and thats a 6.5in travel- huge for a trail bike. Its overkill, yes, but at 6'1'' im tall enough for it not to be a massive bike for me, it scales well. You can feel all that travel on the way down a hill, but it climbs soo well for it. The harder you pedal, the more the vpp resists the bob. But spin lightly and itll move more. I irritate my mates by climbing everything I can while many would push, and this bike has not restricted that goal! I run at least 40% sag, and despite this, it dosent feel slow or bottom out overly. I will only use full travel in a couple of places on any ride.

It is intended to be a do it all bike, and on this it deliveres well. Ive ridden a 10hr Endurance race on it (not particularly competitively), raced the mega (ditto! due to rider), uk enduro races, uplift days on DH trails at Inners, did the 'selkirk 100' (which is a circa 80km ride through 3000m of elevation over hills around selkirk). It replaced a turner five and a marin quake (so a 5in and 7in bike), and fills the boots of both pretty happily.

I would consider replacing it with a carbon equivalent in a similar style next year, but that depends how those particular frames perform up until then. Alloy is a bit more of a known quantity as a frame material!

Ok, thats enough for a short review!