Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71458 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #670 on: 23 July 2012, 18:45 »
yep, the downomatic. Brilliant lid for the money and plenty of ventilation!

One tip, make sure your hands are strong! my fingers still feel like they are all broken lol. We were doing about 15-20 miles of downhill every day and it really is physical trying to stay on

I'm deffo going again next july too, yeah you need a few mates to split the cost of the tolls, we paid about 120 euros each way but that was in a van so a bit more than a car

gutting about the mega but I did the main course 1 1/2 times and the qualy twice in practice so know what to expect for next year. It's a lot harder that it looks though, it's all off camber and very rocky and unforgiving. The snow is great fun though!

having a few weeks off the bike now  :grin:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #671 on: 23 July 2012, 18:53 »
Got my eye on the yellow one too :cool:

My hands ache after a good days riding already so f**k knows what ill will be like after a week :lipsrsealed:

Ill be looking to fly over flight aren't that bad and be doing a weeks guided riding don't think many could afford/wives let them go :lipsrsealed:

Wont be doing the mega though
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #672 on: 24 July 2012, 14:16 »
twin ply tyres and ust are a must! loads of people with punctures over there, pretty much all inner tubes

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #673 on: 12 August 2012, 19:25 »
Anybody been out riding much in our wonderful summer? :lipsrsealed:

Only had one dry ride in the last 3 weeks and that was in 27c.

twin ply tyres and ust are a must! loads of people with punctures over there, pretty much all inner tubes

Just ordered some hope pro 2's with mavic ust rims and high rollers :lipsrsealed:

Broke my gravity dropper post too :lipsrsealed: been eyeing up the Fox D.O.S.S :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #674 on: 13 August 2012, 09:22 »

Yeah, well worth fitting heavier tyres. I stuck a DH tube in the back of my bike and ran near 40psi like most others out there, and had no real issues as a result.

That was my first time out in the alpes this year too. A week at Alpe Dhue'z for the mega, then Morrzine etc the following week. I had a similar opinion of the Morrzine stuff being a bit ruined by all the braking bumps. I had bruised around some ribs by then so it agrivated that a bit too.

Truly brilliant experience though. Getting on the lifts and decending thousands of meters in a day is pretty good. Happily I hardened up pretty fast in Alpe Dhue'z, and didnt suffer arm pump. Heard a lot of bigger built guys winging tho. Best tip for me, was not to feather the brakes. Be on or off (a bit more digital), rather than constant lower force. brakes dont overheat and arms were fine. I loved the main race route, 2600m of decent in an hour- yes please!

Anybody been out riding much in our wonderful summer? :lipsrsealed:

Only had one dry ride in the last 3 weeks and that was in 27c.

Just ordered some hope pro 2's with mavic ust rims and high rollers :lipsrsealed:

Broke my gravity dropper post too :lipsrsealed: been eyeing up the Fox D.O.S.S :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

Just had a dry week up here, been out nearly every day. Hoping for some rain this week so I can rest!

Still Reverb post getting my vote in the dropper line up. If you dont mind the looks of the fox, and the massive remote lever, then It may suit. But it develops a bit of play and is on a cable rather than hydraulic. Also more money and heavier. Ive seen a few on team bikes and not overly impressed. Drill a hole in your frame and fit a reverb stealth!

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #675 on: 13 August 2012, 18:08 »
Ah cool, how did you do in the mega? Thinking about it we were chatting to some Scottish guys in the car park at Oisans, wasn't you was it?! We were in a white LDV by the jet wash's, think the day before qualy?

We found that Morgins had the best trails in the port de solei area, they were really well maintained compared to Les Gets and more fun tbh. I liked Morzine in the woods, but it was damp the day we went and mega slippery!

I haven't ridden properly since being back due to finding some cracks in my frame  :cry: So am going through the warranty process now. The worrying thing is, couple of my mates have dune's as well and since finding my cracks have found cracks in the same place on their frames as well! So think i am gonna sell the new frame on when i get it and look for another frame, not sure what yet but i'd quite like to try out a 29er   :evil:

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #676 on: 14 August 2012, 23:08 »
dont think it was us... did see plenty of brits though!

Got on ok in the race, but didnt get on with the mass starts! Started quali in mid pack- was in the last few coming into the moon scape, then picked it back up to no 100. so made the amateur race on the sunday. Started that near the back of the 350 group, was in the last dozen or so coming off the snow, then got on the case and got up to position 130 by the bottom. So was chuffed with getting by folk, but need to try for better starts.

Duno if we did Morgins trails, a mate was guiding us as he was familiar with the area. I would have remebered the lack of bumps and stayed there! apparently after the 'passports' event week its all a bit blown out.

Selling the fresh frame sounds like a good idea if its prone to failure, unless they have made changes to sort it?!

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #677 on: 15 August 2012, 19:14 »
thats a good result! what number were you? I may have got a pic of you in the qualy

Morgins was one of the places on the swiss side of the border. It was a pain to get back from though, had to ride a few miles uphill on the road, then get a bus to a ski lift, which we missed by about 5 mins  :angry: Had to push up one of the mountains as the taxi would have been 120euros! That was a killer, could barely move my legs the next day  :grin:

Is it you who has the intense tracer? how did it get on? Am thinking about getting one as the replacement

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #678 on: 20 August 2012, 10:19 »
Looking to buy a cycle carrier but not sure which to get, any suggestions, its going on a mk4.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #679 on: 20 August 2012, 11:08 »
Looking to buy a cycle carrier but not sure which to get, any suggestions, its going on a mk4.

for how many bikes?

I personally use a Thule pro ride (roof mounted) the roof bars take about 10 mins to fit / take off, bike takes about 30 seconds to secure and lift off, no messing around with straps not being able to open the boot etc.

only disadvantage is the bikes on top of the car so you take a hit on economy.

The best ones for behind the car are the tow bar mounted ones and personally I wouldn't use anything other than Thule.