Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71428 times)

Offline brett

• I live here
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #580 on: 17 May 2012, 23:11 »
decided i need a full susser sooner rather than later and trying to get cycle to work scheme at work if i can ,gonna get myself a giant glory lol,anyone had one or know much about them ,cheers brett

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #581 on: 18 May 2012, 00:09 »
I attempted to pursuade my boss into getting aboard the 'cycle to work' scheme and failed miserably.  :cry:

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #582 on: 18 May 2012, 00:57 »
Think I might be ok lol,when i spoke to hr about it she said that one of the directors mentioned it a week or so before and he's the accountant ,and just to help a bit more the car parks always full
So fingers crossed lol

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #583 on: 18 May 2012, 06:39 »
My employer is part of the Cycle to work scheme. Problem is the selection of places you can go to get a bike under the scheme is piss poor.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #584 on: 18 May 2012, 07:35 »
Theres a shop only a couple of miles away from that first informed me of the scheme ages ago whilst checking out their sick collection of all-mountain set ups, this obviously just built me up for major disappointment.  :cry:

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #585 on: 18 May 2012, 08:45 »
My employer is part of the Cycle to work scheme. Problem is the selection of places you can go to get a bike under the scheme is piss poor.

the scheme changed (start of this year IIRC) and the saving are no quite misleading from the outset.

Your best bet is to buy second hand (pinkbike, bikeradar) or get last season's version.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #586 on: 18 May 2012, 08:58 »
That's interesting, I suppose you end up paying top dollar for a new bike over a long period now then?

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #587 on: 18 May 2012, 11:23 »
Basically it's because the scheme is actually very similar to hire purchase, except the repayments come out of your salary before tax so you save there, however if you want to keep the bike after the year HP then you have to pay a fair market value (image below), so the money you saved by not paying the tax / NI partly recovered in the final payment.

You also have the option to extend hire period too, http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employers/employer-faqs#/getting-a-bike/faqs/who-actually-owns-the-bike

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #588 on: 18 May 2012, 19:49 »

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #589 on: 18 May 2012, 23:51 »
I'm currently scouring eBay for a bargain.