Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71406 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #490 on: 22 April 2012, 17:12 »
At the moment im running Specialized Enduro Comp 2.2s all round and they are too much. I will look into high rollers as they seem to be a fairly staple tyre. My friend is running Kenda Nevegals all round and he really rates them (he as been xc'ing all his life) so its all a bit of as mine field  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #491 on: 22 April 2012, 18:23 »
tried out the high rollers today in peaslake (2.35's) the grip over my old tyres is unbelievable! you can lean on them so much more and fly over roots etc! knackers you out on the climbs though  :grin:

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #492 on: 22 April 2012, 21:14 »
i had 2.3 nokian gazzalodi's on the 24 seven and found them ok on the road to work and in the woods

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #493 on: 28 April 2012, 12:44 »
finally got my 24seven up and running again but was hard going with 2.5 tyres front and rear in the mud and rain for 12 miles

gonna put the a 2.3 back on the rear should make it loads better,fitted one of my bike racks but needs modding ,you mount your bike upside down which is ok,but the clamps for the handlebars are designed for flat bars and mine arent lol

Offline pid

• Not said much yet
« Reply #494 on: 28 April 2012, 16:15 »
so I'm going to the navy mountain bike championships on wednesday  :smiley:

its my first bike race so I'm going in the novice cat. its a XC race.

what should i do to prep my bike?

and what should i take on the race in my bag? I'm thinking.

pump
patch kit
tube
tyre levers
multi tool
water (on the bike)
mate is gonna get me some gels

anything else to take?

cheers

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #495 on: 28 April 2012, 16:28 »
Chain quick link encase the chain snaps.  I wouldn't bother with a patch kit just a couple tubes.
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #496 on: 28 April 2012, 16:29 »
as above ,sounds right

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #497 on: 28 April 2012, 16:35 »
And give the bike a good going over before the race, checking bolts, brakes, gears/derailers etc
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline pid

• Not said much yet
« Reply #498 on: 28 April 2012, 16:43 »
the sram power link things?

ok I'm going to ditch the patch it. just have couple of tubes.

looking forward to it my mate said i might make the top 10..... if 9 people turn up  :grin:

I've just replaced the rear hanger as that was bent and set the gears going to take the pads out and clean them tomorrow. should i just leave the shock pressure as it is, or put some more in?

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #499 on: 28 April 2012, 17:09 »
anything else to take?

Patch kit is pointless as by the time you've found the hole you'll have lost so much time.  Carry at least 2 tubes and know how to change them quickly and efficiently.

The power link is pointless without a chain tool (your multi tool might have one on it) so you might want a chain tool too.

Disposable gloves are always handy as it stops you hands getting covered in oil and then covering the grips in oil after.

As your mate is getting you some gels I'll assume you don't know how to take them; http://www.highfive.co.uk/pdf%27s/MTB_RFG_ENGLISH_LR.pdf page 18, basically take them around every 20 mins, if you take them once you've "hit the wall" then it's too late.  I'd recommend this as an introduction http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-energy-high-5-race-faster-pack-cycle-mtb-triathlon

As said give you bike a once over before the race, check you tyre pressure too (you might want to adjust this depending on the route and conditions, higher PSI for dry, lower for wet and muddy).

going to take the pads out and clean them tomorrow

You shouldn't clean disc pads and the discs should only be cleaned with a specific disc cleaner.

should i just leave the shock pressure as it is, or put some more in?

Your forks should be set at the correct pressure for your weight, too much and they will have too much rebound, too little and they will sag too much.  If they ride well as they are them leave them as they are.