Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71433 times)

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #480 on: 12 April 2012, 14:02 »
that intense looks trick  :cool: have you done the mega before?

Here's mine at the mo, have just ordered some high rollers for it and the dh damper kit for the forks, which is a bit pony as standard on these lyriks.

also trialling a prototype slick on the front  :laugh:

Not done it before, and it will be my first proper riding trip to the alps (doing another week after the race). Hopefully the race route is nothing too major once off the glacier!  Just need to keep an eye out for lines to dodge the traffic!

I like the idea of the slick front- I see you've dropped the pressure a bit to regain some grip  :laugh:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #481 on: 12 April 2012, 19:22 »
it doesn't actually look that challenging after the snow/ice, it's just the volume of riders that makes it tricky from what i have seen/heard and massively about fitness! The qualifying races sound a lot harder, 1/2 hr of pure dh! A lot of people use dh bikes for it then swap to enduro bikes for the race

Yeah a good tactic is to aim for the gaps, elbows out  :laugh:

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #482 on: 18 April 2012, 19:59 »
Just had a quick flick through the last pages, some of you guys are hardcore, but where do you find these routes as I would easily love to get a back rack and go out?

Whilst on MTB subject here's a pic of my cheap a$$ bike (BTW its red not pink - crappy camera):

Just went for a 7mile ride and realized I should be in a grave, speedo and lights all working :afro:

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #483 on: 18 April 2012, 20:34 »
I went on Adventure training last week and popped into a bike shop, picked up a 2011 EX5 Trek, Quite happy with it to be honest... Off up the Forest of Dean for a blast next week.
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #484 on: 22 April 2012, 01:23 »
Some advice lads, what springs you guys rocking on the rear, I have a 750 and to me this seems stiff but I'm no pro, what you guys recommend or advise?

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #485 on: 22 April 2012, 03:12 »
Some advice lads, what springs you guys rocking on the rear, I have a 750 and to me this seems stiff but I'm no pro, what you guys recommend or advise?
Chuck your bike in the bin mate it's not worth upgrading. Just buy a better bike for the same money as a few pro parts might set you back.
 :smiley:

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #486 on: 22 April 2012, 13:18 »
Chuck your bike in the bin mate it's not worth upgrading. Just buy a better bike for the same money as a few pro parts might set you back.

Harsh but true bud, look on pink bike, loads of cheap full sus bike on there that would make good bases for up grading!
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #487 on: 22 April 2012, 13:55 »

Harsh but true bud, look on pink bike, loads of cheap full sus bike on there that would make good bases for up grading!

It is sound advice, just I don't use it that frequent to justify some of the prices IMO, however I will look out for a second hand one at some point.

Also I found out why my suspension felt stiff, it was seized up and not greased at all  :rolleyes: Greased it up and its bouncy again.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #488 on: 22 April 2012, 16:46 »
Right ladies... fed up of my friend dicking me in road sections and then due to him still having energy pooing on me in the mud. Its all about the tyres but I want to retain my good mud handling so....

Was thinking about getting a Specialized Renegade 2.1 sworks tyre for the rear of my Enduro and keeping the chunky tyre up front. Do you think this combo will make road sections/green lane sections easier and faster? Plus will keeping a chunky tyre up front keep the good handling when it gets mucky?

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #489 on: 22 April 2012, 17:04 »
All the people I ride with have a smaller tyre on the rear. Most run a Maxis Minnon DHF super tacky 2.5 up front for grip and a Maxis high roller 2.1/2.25 on the rear. Thats the setup Ill be trying once I need some new tyres
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...