Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71520 times)

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #370 on: 21 February 2012, 20:24 »
Why do you need a new rear mech for? as long as its a 9 speed it shouldn't matter should it :undecided:

Or why not use this bike a your first and save a little and next year buy something better, rather than upgraded and potently spending lots upgrading it :undecided:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #371 on: 21 February 2012, 20:34 »
Why do you need a new rear mech for? as long as its a 9 speed it shouldn't matter should it :undecided:

Or why not use this bike a your first and save a little and next year buy something better, rather than upgraded and potently spending lots upgrading it :undecided:

probably came with integrated shifter brakes, which were probably 7 or even 8 speed, one of the problems with buying a bike with entry level components when you do come to upgrade it's a massive ball ache.

I was looking at these though - http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1022485/

they are rancid, unless you've got a purple bike  :sick:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #372 on: 21 February 2012, 20:41 »
Right then understand now.
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #373 on: 21 February 2012, 20:54 »
I'm just going off what my friend told me, he loves bikes, used to work in a bike shop when he was younger.  He seems to think my current 7 gear cassette won't be compatible with a new rim, something to do with bearings, or bolts, or something, I didn't really understand.

I may keep the bike almost as it is for now, and think about saving instead.  I definitely need new forks though!

Can anyone recommend a good set of forks I can pick up for under £100 second hand, and have brake thingies for attaching v brakes?

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #374 on: 21 February 2012, 21:02 »
Just get a new bike...

Wait, what? Who said that?  :lipsrsealed:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #375 on: 21 February 2012, 21:04 »
To be honest the V brakes aren't half bad, I just need to tweak the rear one a little.  The only really weak link to the bike is the forks.

Offline dannyd126

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #376 on: 21 February 2012, 21:10 »
im lookin at getting a mountain bike, anyone got advise for the best place to pick a decent one up at a respectable price?

i wouldnt know the first place to look
A golf, Worlds finest

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #378 on: 21 February 2012, 21:37 »
I'm just going off what my friend told me, he loves bikes, used to work in a bike shop when he was younger.  He seems to think my current 7 gear cassette won't be compatible with a new rim, something to do with bearings, or bolts, or something, I didn't really understand.

I may keep the bike almost as it is for now, and think about saving instead.  I definitely need new forks though!

Can anyone recommend a good set of forks I can pick up for under £100 second hand, and have brake thingies for attaching v brakes?

err not sure about that, your cassette should just slide on the only difference (AFAIK) between the different speeds cassettes is the spacing between the sprockets e.g. they are all the same total width just the spacing is smaller for the 9, 10 spd etc.

second hand forks are bit tough really, what you using the bike for?

your best bet is the classified sites like pinkbike or singletrack.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #379 on: 21 February 2012, 21:40 »
I'm going to be doing trails uphill/downhill in the Peak District.

I've been looking on pinkbike, but I don't know what's good and what isn't.

Also, what kind of travel do you think I could get away with before it is too much for the frame?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/palomar-2010-mountain-bike-ec020915