Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71467 times)

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #250 on: 28 January 2012, 17:35 »
i can get a 9 speed one just need to know if it will work, it just a pain on mine having to push the thumb bit all the way forward to change down, my thumb aint long enough

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #251 on: 28 January 2012, 21:05 »
Does it not say what the change distance is?
Then find out what distance is needed for your gears?

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #252 on: 28 January 2012, 21:14 »
Yh grip shift is a major step backwards, just think there's a reason it's only found on kids bikes and halfords specials.
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #253 on: 29 January 2012, 13:15 »
look im not for starting an argument over which is better i just want something i dont have to think about when shifting, so lets stop being snobby about which is better and just give the good advice which this thread has generated so far

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #254 on: 29 January 2012, 13:21 »
look im not for starting an argument over which is better i just want something i dont have to think about when shifting, so lets stop being snobby about which is better and just give the good advice which this thread has generated so far

I think your best bet would be to go to a decent bike shop and try the thumb shifters on a range of mountainbikes till you find one you like, jot down the bikes details then look into what shifter it is when you get back. I have never heard of anyone having trouble with having to push a shifter further than its ergonomical contraints, so yours may of simply had it. It will also be worth having a new cable fitted at the same time, this should be done by a bike shop ideally and wont cost any more than £20.

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #255 on: 29 January 2012, 13:24 »
If you have stumpy thumbs can you not rotate the shifter around the bar so it is more biased to your thumb? Are you wrapping your fingers all the way around the grip? Might be worth having a play with bar lengths and sweeps to see of it is a grip issue before just plumping for an inferior shifting Mech?

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #256 on: 29 January 2012, 13:55 »
Bloody cold ride today with snow at the top, only 11 miles but was a good 11 :cool:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #257 on: 29 January 2012, 14:20 »
6 miles for me today, i'm pleased with that! smokers lungs seem to be fading week by week  :cool:

i had to ride back to the car gingerly though as a few of the bolts were working loose on the rear linkages, i'm surprised the factory didn't loctite them! bloody lazy spanish  :grin:

the mk4 bike rack will do, but wasn't really designed for my bike lol

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #258 on: 29 January 2012, 14:25 »
re stumpy thumb man, swapping the shifter so it's outboard of the brake lever might help

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #259 on: 29 January 2012, 14:43 »
lol tried that still no good should thumb changedown lever go all the way forward before it changes? i cant grow longer thumbs  :grin: