Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71489 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #210 on: 25 January 2012, 17:03 »
Proper pissed off today!
Got a chain tool off eBay, tried to use it and the pin bent straight away :(
Looks like the weekend ride is out :(
Can't wait to get out on it when it's single speed!

You get what you pay for, I bought two sh!tty ones that both broke by either bending the pin or breaking the actual block. I then picked one up for about £12 and it is soooo much better.

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #211 on: 25 January 2012, 17:06 »
Might just cut this chain off and buy a new one with a split link in!

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #212 on: 25 January 2012, 17:32 »
*THINKING ABOUT GETTING A BIKE? READ THIS*

Ok so I have done some thinking about stuff (whilst riding) about what would improve this thread. I think a kit list is a good start for anyone looking to get into biking and more specifically what to take out with you...

Ensure your bike fits your purpose, sure big DH bikes look fecking awesome but you will get no pleasure from riding a mix of xc and road on one. In most cases a full suspension rig isnt needed but it is possible to buy bikes that 'lock out' the rear shock, meaning that they can switch from 'hardtail' and 'full suspension'. If your bike is squashing about underneath you you are wasting alot of energy.

So after deciding what bike suits you you need to ensure it is the correct size, to do this you can follow this rough guide...

16" (40 cm) frame is most suitable for riders ranging from 5' to 5'8" in height.
An 18" (45 cm) frame is most suitable for riders ranging from 5'7" to 6'1" in height.
A 20" or 21" (50-53 cm) frame works for riders 6' and up.

The measurements are the distance from the seat post to the crank in-case you were wondering.

Before riding also ensure the bike is set up correctly, the seat should be adjusted so that you get a 'full stroke' in whilst pedaling, meaning that your leg should almost fully straighten before comming back round again whilst pedaling. YOU MUST ENSURE THAT THERE IS AT LEAST 4" OF SEATPOST IN THE FRAME, OTHERWISE IT WILL SNAP EITHER ITSELF OR THE FRAME!
 It is also possible to adjust the distance the bars are from you by changing the stem (but I wont go into this as it will take a few rides to figure out properly what you need). Another big game changer is also tyre choice, but again you will know what you need after a few rides.

So to start you need a propper fitting helmet, gloves and a good comfy rucksack, ideally fairly simple and good quality so it can be cleaned easily. This should be able to hold your phone/wallet safely too.

In this pack you should have...

Good compact pump
Spare innertube
Tyre levers
Basic bike tool (should be around £20 with a chain tool ideally)
A good lock (you never know where you may end up)
Waterproof jacket
WATER! I feel this is the most important thing, and make yourself drink it. If you feel thirsty chances are you are already starting to de-hydrate. I get though 1 litre per 15miles when xcing so use this as a rough guide.

Phone and wallet, the wallet is especially important if you are riding solo - if you knock yourself out or similair people need to know who you are.

When not out riding maintaining the bike is very important, keep oily bits oiled and try keep the bike clean as possible. Dont use a pressure washer to clean the bike as this forces mud into bearings, just use either a hose and brush or water in a bottle/washing up bowl and a brush.

Before riding you should also have decent knowledge of how the bike works and how each component function. This is to save time when riding, say if a brake caliper locks on you know how to bleed the system whilst on the go and free it off. It sounds simple but at this point chances are you will be cold wet and muddy (if your not your not doing it right)

Now, get out and riiiiide!
« Last Edit: 25 January 2012, 19:21 by Sam »

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #213 on: 25 January 2012, 18:09 »
That's a very good guide for new riders :afro: good work. Yh I always take my backpack with me its got a 1.5ltr bag init with the straw/ tube built into the strap and then just enuff room for phone wallet multi tool and snacks,

I would add buying two sets of gloves if your riding in the winter and summer, a thin light pair and some thicker for warmth etc.n

O and as for DH bikes lookin fecking awesome, got another pic of my bike after tweaking the front forks

But it is right, I get off and push this at the first sign of a hill, DH bikes really are for chucking urself down hills (obviously lol)
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #214 on: 25 January 2012, 18:27 »
I learnt the hard way to make sure I take tools/spare tube after having to walk back 4 miles one afternoon. Luckily it was only 4 miles, I was on the return journey and it was a nice day. I learnt my lesson quite quick after that  :tongue:
« Last Edit: 25 January 2012, 18:32 by patc »
PatC
Golf GTI MK3 Anniversary Edition

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #215 on: 25 January 2012, 18:51 »
Bike is looking pretty trick, Murray.  :smiley:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #216 on: 25 January 2012, 19:04 »
Sam great beginners guide!! would love to find somewhere with more basic bike guides if anyone knows of any.

I tried to pick up some info by buying some mountain biking magazine, but the weekly guide was something to do with changing something that I am never going to change.

I did hose my bike down after sundays ride, but today noticed a lot of dry straw and mud stuck to the chain today.  :undecided:

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 25 January 2012, 19:17 »
Two words  muc-off
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #218 on: 25 January 2012, 19:29 »
Ive used Muc-Off for yonks, can't go wrong with their gear really.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #219 on: 25 January 2012, 19:35 »
Sam great beginners guide!! would love to find somewhere with more basic bike guides if anyone knows of any.

I tried to pick up some info by buying some mountain biking magazine, but the weekly guide was something to do with changing something that I am never going to change.

I did hose my bike down after sundays ride, but today noticed a lot of dry straw and mud stuck to the chain today.  :undecided:

This website has all the info you need, from maintainence and sizing up to why you get a certain pain after riding and how to prevent it!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/