Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71469 times)

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #140 on: 17 January 2012, 08:45 »
To be honest you won't get a brand new full susser that's really any good for £400. Either spend that much on a second hand one or stick to hardtail. To many components will be compromised on a susser at that price point plus it'll weigh a ton.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #141 on: 17 January 2012, 08:52 »
To be honest you won't get a brand new full susser that's really any good for £400. Either spend that much on a second hand one or stick to hardtail. To many components will be compromised on a susser at that price point plus it'll weigh a ton.

Have to agree. Looked at quite a few full sus bikes before I got mine.Then really wondered firstly, if I would get anything good for the money and secondly if I really needed a full sus.

In the end I went for a hard tail and glad I did.. plus I would go second hand also.

Found mine on ebay where some fat rich dude got one for xmas... was only used a couple of times, virtually brand new. His wife got sick of it cluttering up the house and forced him to sell it. Just to add that like a sucker he spent a fair bit of money on accessories. Total bill £1100+

I paid £700... one happy bunny  :cool:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #142 on: 17 January 2012, 09:21 »
Bingo.  :smiley:

Offline ortega277

• Not said much yet
« Reply #143 on: 17 January 2012, 11:06 »
Do any of you guys know much about manitou sherman forks if so how would you rate them? Thinking of getting a set. Also I went out for a ride on Sunday and wondered if there was any good apps on my iPhone for riding I came across one called strava and thought it was amazing anyone else use this?
It tells you all sorts of useful info such as:
. Distance travelled
. Metres climed
. Time riding
. Calories burned
. Average speed
. Top speed
. Total rides
 And my personal favourite is the map of the route you have ridden.
 You can also add friends to see how far the been and how well they have been doing.
There's also challenges that you can set up for eg: there's a bridge near me called the Medway bridge and it's almost a mile long some chap set it up and managed to ride across it in 2 mins at an average speed of 19 mph pretty quick must have been on a racing bike. I'm gonna go and try beat it soon.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #144 on: 17 January 2012, 14:12 »
The Shermans are decent forks as it goes, a mate of mine had some on his jump bike and they took loads of abuse on a regular basis.

Would I be right in assuming you're a Rochester lad?

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #145 on: 17 January 2012, 14:15 »
Do any of you guys know much about manitou sherman forks if so how would you rate them? Thinking of getting a set. Also I went out for a ride on Sunday and wondered if there was any good apps on my iPhone for riding I came across one called strava and thought it was amazing anyone else use this?
It tells you all sorts of useful info such as:
. Distance travelled
. Metres climed
. Time riding
. Calories burned
. Average speed
. Top speed
. Total rides
 And my personal favourite is the map of the route you have ridden.
 You can also add friends to see how far the been and how well they have been doing.
There's also challenges that you can set up for eg: there's a bridge near me called the Medway bridge and it's almost a mile long some chap set it up and managed to ride across it in 2 mins at an average speed of 19 mph pretty quick must have been on a racing bike. I'm gonna go and try beat it soon.

I have been using runkeeper for a year now on my iphone.  It's a free app and i cannot fault it.  You can also go online once registered and type in any location and how many miles you wish to ride and it will show all the routes other people have uploaded.  V clever!
PatC
Golf GTI MK3 Anniversary Edition

Offline ortega277

• Not said much yet
« Reply #146 on: 17 January 2012, 15:46 »
Yes mate right in the heart of sunny old Rochester were you from?
 Might have to look into that app then Give it a go.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #147 on: 17 January 2012, 17:16 »
I use the free version of endomodo. It can be used for any sport pretty much and does all of the above mentioned things. Even plays you music and updates you on your speeds and split times as you go around if you like.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #148 on: 17 January 2012, 21:31 »
Just downloaded that Strava app. f**king wank for android!

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #149 on: 17 January 2012, 21:49 »
I quite like the sportypal pro android app, can use it for loads of different sports

My new bike is currently just above Munich. Hurry up DPD!