Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71571 times)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #80 on: 14 January 2012, 10:12 »
tbh dont think I have ever used the full travel on those forks... but then I am just starting out. I may just get a better feel for the bike first before i start changing stuff.

Most my riding is easy XC at the moment with a mixture of road. Planning a trip to somewhere during march with a full weekend of tough XC trails. Will decide what needs replacing then  :cool:

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #81 on: 14 January 2012, 15:11 »
Another 23 miles today, get rid of last nights beer. Got into the woods today for a good thrash and it was absolutely ossum  :smiley: very very muddy though.

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #82 on: 14 January 2012, 15:34 »
Had a play with mine this am before getting off to the hospital to see the wife!
Re built the rear cassette, it's mega tight now, see if it explodes again when going uphill!
Anybody had that before. Proper pain in the arse, get into a rythem and then bang :(

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #83 on: 14 January 2012, 15:46 »
Had a play with mine this am before getting off to the hospital to see the wife!
Re built the rear cassette, it's mega tight now, see if it explodes again when going uphill!
Anybody had that before. Proper pain in the arse, get into a rythem and then bang :(

Yes which is normaly followd by a pedal in the shin or kneeing the forks, bad times
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #84 on: 14 January 2012, 16:37 »
dmr's + terrapins need pulling out of your shin when this happens  :sick:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #85 on: 14 January 2012, 16:40 »
a bad pic of most of my collection

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #86 on: 14 January 2012, 17:32 »
What are people's thoughts on single speed  bikes?
Because my rear cassette is so shagged I've pretty much used mines in one gear for years anyway and quite like it!

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #87 on: 14 January 2012, 17:35 »
i love single speed riding. so much quieter, you ride better, bike is lighter.  i wish i did it years ago

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #88 on: 14 January 2012, 17:47 »
I'm a big fan of singlespeed bikes and have been for many years, I used to race BMX's when I was younger and then got into 24" & 26" wheeled dirt jumping bikes which nearly all were single speed.
My current all-mountain set up is 2x9 gearing but tbh I rarely use more than 3 of gears anyway simply because I've ridden single speed for so many years.

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #89 on: 14 January 2012, 17:51 »
well thats what i do, tbh i tend to be able to tank up hills quite nicely in the 9th gear, only reason i mess around with the gears is when they blow apart and i have to screw them back together and then find a gear that holds better lol.
might see if i can get a single speed hub at some point and then remove the gear crap...
think my fork seals need doing too! easy job?