Author Topic: MK3 1.8T  (Read 30712 times)

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
MK3 1.8T
« on: 18 December 2011, 21:09 »
Ok well as some of you may know i currently own a mk3 1.4cl lowered but pretty standard, now i have always wanted to do a project build and want it to last a good year if not more due to funds, time and so on but it has now begun.
So this is going to be a very slow thread but i want to do everything properly and i want it to look good at the end rather than rush it.
I know this has been done so many times and i should go out and buy a mk4 1.8t but i dont want to aha and this thread is more for extra help and advice i can get from people that have done it or seen it done before, after speaking to LazyLunatic i got the basic idea of what engine i want and a few other bits and bobs, also speaking to rubjonny helped me out with what looms i need and what is required to do it myself, i have also done about 1 months worth of research and well enough talking on to the pictures
On saturday i went to see this...............

Saturday evening i then got a phone call from the guy saying him and his dad had removed the engine comeplete, ecu and loom would i wanna collect that night so last night i went and collected it in the back of my mums car, well this morning soon came and it was time for me and my dad to remove from the boot WITH NO ENGINE HAUST! my god it was heavy! aha
Out of the car

removed the gearbox, clutch, flywheel, alternator, starter motor well most of the bolt on bits to make it lighter, didnt get any photos of it after but will take some tomorrow.
So also in with the engine i have this lot to play with................

Sorry about the bad photos all taken on my phone aha
also got the key and ecu also in this photo are some gauges i got hold of cheap

so the work will start now, going to take the engine cover of tomorrow along with the turbo and carb inlet to clean and polish them up well not the turbo aha, i shall take plenty of photos on my way through.
But i do have a couple of questions i know i need the gti gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter motor, but does it have to be the 16v or can it be the 8v????

Also i know at the top of this photo is the alternator now what are the two below it does anyone know? i think its either oil pump, power steering pump or water pump? anyone know photo here.......

I hope there isnt to much reading here aha, any comments/help is welcome  :smiley:
cheers
« Last Edit: 18 December 2011, 21:12 by Ferdinor »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: MK3 1.8T
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2011, 21:17 »
The 2 units under the alternator are a/c compresser and pas pump.

You would be wise to scrap the dump valve btw they do not like them.

Good luck with it. :smiley:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2011, 21:21 »
chances are if you are asking what those items below the alternator are your gonna struggle with this LOL

Remove that AC compressor and bin it, you will need a Aux belt thats for a car without AC, i have the part number in my files of the belt u will need

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2011, 21:31 »
Well im pretty sure the only way you can learn is to do, and this is the reason i made this thread is so i can ask for help from people that have done it before, i mean im not completely stupid but i race bikes not cars aha

Right so the a/c compressor is no longer required but the bottom pump (pas pump) is required, if you do have the part number for that belt that would be great, if it cant be found could i not just leave the pump in place unconnected?  :smiley:

well the dump valve was chucked in, im not a massive fan of them anyway, what would be a better option to put in its place?

Cheers

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2011, 21:34 »
id remove it if its not needed mate....less weight etc  :wink:

u want the 007p diverter valve from awesome gti altho theres the 008 out i think now

good luck with this will be watching  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2011, 21:36 »
Right so the a/c compressor is no longer required but the bottom pump (pas pump) is required

Does yours have PAS if so then yes you should be able to adapt it to work with your rack, starting with a 1.4 does not make things easy as so much needs changing.

well the dump valve was chucked in, im not a massive fan of them anyway, what would be a better option to put in its place?

Forge 007p is the best choice.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2011, 21:37 »
As said above stick with a recirc valve over a dump valve :wink:

Will be an interesting project to watch, as you've already said the best way to learn is to get stuck in and do it yourself :cool:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2011, 21:40 »
Oh sorry didnt explain that bit to well did i, the plan is to buy another cheap golf to put this in, as i need to keep my car on the road and i have the space for a second car so i can take as long as i wish, now i will be going for mk gti 8v or 16v depepnding on if the gearbox, clutch and flywheel are diffrent between the 8v and 16v so im guessing the pas pump will be required? i would prefer to not have power steering tbh would it be easier without it? aha

So where the dump valve currently is, i would be better of with a forge 007p is that correct?

Aha sorry about all the questions i will get this eventally  :grin:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2011, 21:46 »
The PAS pump will work with the MK3 set up

i Used the S3 pump on my conversion

Get a 16v abf golf mate, will make your conversion much easier and less stuff to source

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2011, 21:50 »
The PAS pump will work with the MK3 set up

i Used the S3 pump on my conversion

Get a 16v abf golf mate, will make your conversion much easier and less stuff to source

Thank you i will have to decide weather i want to have power steering or not, from the cars i have driven so far i much prefer my golf without powersteering as you can feel the road better, but i shall decide what is easier and go from there.

As said above stick with a recirc valve over a dump valve :wink:

Will be an interesting project to watch, as you've already said the best way to learn is to get stuck in and do it yourself :cool:

Thanks mate i love getting stuck in cant wait to finish it even though i have just started, shame money is such an issue really  :cry: aha