Author Topic: Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!  (Read 100488 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Jamo's Mk3 Gti 8v Winter Rebuild Project
« Reply #60 on: 02 December 2011, 22:49 »
Really coming along now, impressed as always! Its amazing how much the MK3's rust lol nice to see your going all out on the underside! Dont tend to see people either bother with it or put it in there threads lol. Good work mate

Cheers mate, yeah its shocking the amount of surface rust in the places you don't expect it. The only way to find it is to rip them to bits like this. The underside just seams to be layered in sealer and not much else. Atleast with some paint under there it will protect it better. May be over the top but when I come to move it on I can confidently say its a Mk3 with no rust. The flash on my camara emphasises the rust in my pictures. That rear beam looks like its been underwater for 200 years. The titanic would be in better shape  :grin:.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #61 on: 22 December 2011, 19:43 »
Well I though I better update this just in case anyone thinks I have packed it in. Been pretty skint this month so not got as much done as i would like but still feel its on schedule to be finished for March.

Anyway been cleaning parts up, removing rust etc so they will be ready for paint which will be done in January, then its all system go to get this back together. Will be throwing everything it this to get it up to scratch.

Some of the stuff with the blue colour is just rust neutraliser!!

All these parts are all ready for paint.

Anti roll bar done...

Steering rack done.....Need to either source or make the two pipes that feed the rack as they could not be saved. Seen a guy on ebay sells them once in a while so just need to keep my eyes peeled.

Power steering pipes....these were completely riddled with surface rust and took me ages to clean them up. A coat of paint and they will look brand new.

Not really begun on the engine and gearbox as need to get some G101 or something to clean all the muck off it first but like I said been skint so just been doing the stuff that doesn't cost me much. Its good to get all these parts done though.

Well thats probably it for this year. January will hopefully see me begin spending some money on this!!

Have good xmas and new year guys!!  :smiley:

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 22 December 2011, 19:48 »
would you not get a better finish on some of those bits powdercoatin them  :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #63 on: 22 December 2011, 19:58 »
would you not get a better finish on some of those bits powdercoatin them  :smiley:

Possibly yes but its extra cost I don't really want to commit too as I have loads to spend on this over the next few months. Like a couple of grand. They don't look so great the now with all the rust neutraliser but believe me when they are painted up and finished they will look great.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 22 December 2011, 20:01 »

Possibly yes but its extra cost I don't really want to commit too as I have loads to spend on this over the next few months. Like a couple of grand. They don't look so great the now with all the rust neutraliser but believe me when they are painted up and finished they will look great.
dont doubt you for a minute but if your keepin the car for a few years paint myt need re-done  :smiley:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #65 on: 22 December 2011, 20:35 »
Nice bit of progress, i was wondering how you were getting on. How cum its got to be ready for march then? Keep it up.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 22 December 2011, 21:17 »
Cracking work man! I look forward to next year :)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #67 on: 22 December 2011, 22:04 »

dont doubt you for a minute but if your keepin the car for a few years paint myt need re-done  :smiley:

Well might consider powder coating the subframe and roll bar as they will be the most susceptible to rusting but all depends on cost. Then obviously I would have to get the rear beam done to match so will wait and see.

Nice bit of progress, i was wondering how you were getting on. How cum its got to be ready for march then? Keep it up.

Cheers bud!! Just want it ready for then so I can at least use it over the 6 months of decent weather then either put it off the road in september or sell or swap. Get it to shows and events too.

Cracking work man! I look forward to next year :)

Cheers matey, Looking forward to spending my first summer with a Mk3. :laugh:
« Last Edit: 22 December 2011, 22:06 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 22 December 2011, 22:42 »
subframe,rollbar,an rear beam shouldnt cost more than £100quid any colour u want :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #69 on: 22 December 2011, 22:46 »
subframe,rollbar,an rear beam shouldnt cost more than £100quid any colour u want :smiley:

Mmm not too bad then. May be worth doing and a good selling point when time comes. I have a powdercoaters about 12 miles from me so will drop in and see them. Cheers bud!!