Author Topic: Gti_Jamo's White Mk3 Golf Gti....HOME WITH NEW PICS!  (Read 100450 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: Jamo's Mk3 Gti 8v Winter Rebuild Project
« Reply #50 on: 14 November 2011, 20:35 »
nice work bro, loving the thread, im here regularly :)

as per previous posts, i wish i had a garage this size lol!

keep up the good work

Cheers mate, keeping an eye on your progress too. Yeah the garage is thee reason I can tackle something like this. Many cars have rolled out of here with a new lease of life. An MG, a Jensen Interceptor, a Mini and me and my dad have been rebuilding a Mk3 Spitfire just now that had lay in a barn for 20 years. The Golf is all my work though. Spent a couple of hours working on the underside today so should have more pics up in next couple of days.

Brilliant work mate. Will be keeping an eye on this one  :cool:

Cheers mate!!

just read the whole thread. gota say:

YOU DA MAN :smiley:
keep up the work!

Lol....I do my best. I'll be happier when i'm on the home straight though.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #51 on: 22 November 2011, 20:50 »

keep up the work!

^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Your putting so much effort into your mk3 making me feel emotional just owning one!  :rolleyes:

keep up the good work, look forward to seeing that bay back together!

GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #52 on: 25 November 2011, 17:41 »

keep up the work!

^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Your putting so much effort into your mk3 making me feel emotional just owning one!  :rolleyes:

keep up the good work, look forward to seeing that bay back together!

Cheers mate!!

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #53 on: 25 November 2011, 17:49 »
Not been doing much to the Golf this week as been quite busy with other things and the garage is full up so space has been compromised.

The floor pan and inner wings are all ready for some stone chip then will primer them along with the engine bay. Then will be turning my attentions to the engine and running gear.

Spent a couple of hours today on front calipers and carriers. Were covered in flaky rust but will be as good as new once they are painted. Its good to get another laborious job crossed off the list. Much much more to go though.

« Last Edit: 25 November 2011, 22:01 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline stow1985

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 26 November 2011, 23:26 »
front calipers and carriers will look lush once they are all done, what colour will they be? what paint are you using on them?

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2011, 11:40 »
front calipers and carriers will look lush once they are all done, what colour will they be? what paint are you using on them?

Will probably do them black or silver but not decided yet. I'm thinking Smoothrite will give a good finish along with being durable. Maybe do the hubs and carriers black and calipers silver.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #56 on: 02 December 2011, 20:45 »
Small update on the progress. Got all the floorpan and the inner wings all stonechipped so just waiting for the next kinda mild day to get some primer over it then hopefully some paint.

The tunnel area underneath the main heat shield had some serious rust needing attacked. Another few years and it would have rotted through. All sorted now though.

Also some wee bits in the bay needing filled and smoothed off.

While waiting on some better weather I have turned my attentions to the engine and running gear and stripped it down nut by nut. Basically will clean everything, paint it, then rebuild it back together. Replacing anything it needs along the way. Need the gaitor that protects the steering knuckle and also the rubber gaitor for the gearbox selector. Broke the top nut on the rear engine mount so will need to get a new one of them and also my power steering pump dosn't feel so good so will change that too. Took loads of photos during the strip down and labelled and filed every single nut and bolt. Doubt yous would appreciate me posting them all so heres a couple of how its looking just now.

Also could anyone confirm to me in the picture below if the pulley on my water pump is indeed knackered. Its more or less a smooth surface when I believe it should be grooved like the alternator and bottom pulley. Maybe someone can check their Mk3 for me  :wink:.

More updates soon.  :wink:.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2011, 22:35 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline stow1985

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 02 December 2011, 20:54 »
Great work mate,

are you going to put the engine and gear box in stock or are you going to have a little play with it whilst its out??

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #58 on: 02 December 2011, 20:59 »
Great work mate,

are you going to put the engine and gear box in stock or are you going to have a little play with it whilst its out??

Cheersl!! Not too sure mate, not much you can do to an 8v to make it better. Just want to try and make it look near to brand new under the bonnet. I am open to suggestions though!!

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 02 December 2011, 21:28 »
Really coming along now, impressed as always! Its amazing how much the MK3's rust lol nice to see your going all out on the underside! Dont tend to see people either bother with it or put it in there threads lol. Good work mate