Author Topic: 1.8T Project  (Read 28017 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #70 on: 26 March 2012, 18:11 »
if you mean on the graph, thats just done using a calc with the ratios from both box's buts its pretty accurate to real figures, and yes they really do make that much difference :)

with the 16v DPA box the torque is insane, wheel spins in 3rd in the dry are very doable :P it was almost enough to put me off fast get offs etc as 90% of the time I'd be getting unwanted wheel spin. The ASD box from a diesel is still more than capable of putting the power down but feels a lot more controlled and you wont be wheel spinning half as much when you don't want to (but just as much when you do  :wink:)

the gears in the ASD are taller than the DPA so the revs go further. For a realistic example when I go to work I usually sit somewhere between 70-80 on the m25, with the DPA I was at around 4000-4500 revs and when giving it a blast to 90 for a few seconds the engine would start screaming. With the ASD 70-80 sits happily just under 3000 revs and if I feel the need to put my foot down it never goes above 3500, much nicer to drive :) and still feels just as quick on fast driving around town etc you just might find yourself needing to change down to overtake every now and then where you woudnt of needed to with the DPA, but tbh I still rarely find myself needing to change down

If you have the choice of any 02a box I would definitely recommend the diesel ASD box :) I think its also popular to fit the ASD with a DPA 5th gear so it isnt so long but I dont know much about that, I've been more than happy with the standard ASD
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #71 on: 27 March 2012, 08:59 »
Brilliant Info as always mate!

Will be getting the ASD box on payday then :) Im guessing that you can also keep the GTi driveshafts too


Offline madmanmart

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 938
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #72 on: 27 March 2012, 13:06 »
Brilliant Info as always mate!

Will be getting the ASD box on payday then :) Im guessing that you can also keep the GTi driveshafts too



Yes you can  :smiley:


Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline jinx

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 14
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #73 on: 28 March 2012, 12:59 »
I'm sure i have an 02A DPA on my 20vt,

If i went for an ASD box would my clutch & flywheel carry over no probs?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #74 on: 28 March 2012, 13:30 »
yep straight swap
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #75 on: 05 May 2012, 23:38 »
Still trying to find the correct engine mounts for this :( I have been looking at a few on eBay but I don't know what part numbers I need!

Is this the rear engine mount :- http://bit.ly/vKTgy6

Also what part number is the front mount?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #76 on: 06 May 2012, 14:16 »
looks similar but no its not right, numbers starting 199 are mk2 parts mk3 start 1h0. part number for the rear is 1h0 199 354, I'm actually selling a brand new rear bracket on ebay atm that I bought for my conversion last year but never needed it. If you've been looking around on there you probably seen the ad. make an offer if you like its just sitting on the living room floor waiting to be sold :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130690903103?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1241

I'll have a look through my paperwork a bit later and see if I can find the part number I bought for mine. cost a bloody fortune from vw!
« Last Edit: 06 May 2012, 14:37 by Dan_GTi8v »
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #77 on: 06 May 2012, 14:24 »
1h0 199 273 for the front bracket

going through my receipts my auction price info is wrong, its the front bracket that costs £54, the rear was a bargain at only £41  :grin: unfortunately though I don't have any new ones of these knocking about in the garage :P

found this on ebay though seems a bit cheap! hard to tell from the pics but the part number is right just has a different revision letter, mine is B this one is J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-VW-Seat-Engine-Mount-Bracket-1H0-199-273-J-/330717652505?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d004ee619#ht_1751wt_990
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #78 on: 06 May 2012, 16:56 »
Aww man - I dont have any spare cash for a couple of weeks :(

Offline N900 MJT

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 900
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #79 on: 21 June 2012, 13:51 »
Ok bringing this back out - So I now have the rear engine mount and an ASD gearbox that I picked up for an amazing £30 :D

Couple of questions really for those who have the ASD box, can you swap out the shift tower to the mk4 item?
thinking while I have the space i will put the TT shifter on

Can you use a mk4 starter motor in the ASD box?

Also is this the correct front engine mount - http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Golf-3-Vento-Motorhalter-1H0199273E-/120718255980

Everything else is almost sorted

Cheers