Author Topic: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild  (Read 40981 times)

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
Re: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild
« Reply #110 on: 04 April 2012, 23:13 »
Had to google "Oor Wullie"  :grin:

His trademarks are spiky hair, dungarees and an upturned bucket, which he often uses as a seat

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #111 on: 05 April 2012, 00:03 »

Just as well you had the safe search on... :smiley:

How's this progressing anyway?

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #112 on: 09 April 2012, 23:24 »

Just as well you had the safe search on... :smiley:

How's this progressing anyway?

That didn't even occur to me, but yeah, safe search was lucky!  :grin:

Not really been much progress lately, been stupidly busy at work so just haven't had the time to give the car much attention.

It will get done, but I am not in any real hurry so it will be ready when its ready...

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #113 on: 12 April 2012, 22:21 »
Put in a few hours on the Golf after work last night.

The back end has now all been sanded with 240 grit, still lots left to flat though, then onto 400, then finally wet and dry before it goes to the bodyshop.

Also got the turbo boost guage all wired in and connected up after some trick cable running through the box section in the bulkhead and out below the dash speaker so that all cables are hidden.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #114 on: 13 April 2012, 13:21 »
The boost guage is not mounted properly yet but its in place and working.

I have ordered some decent double sided tape so I may cut the base down a bit and stick it here, or on the side of the instrument cluster, or possibly get a pillar pod.

I have left enough slack in the cables to fit it anywhere in this area.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #115 on: 14 April 2012, 18:07 »
The New eeprom for my Kstar finally arrived and is soldered into the unit, I reconnected the kstar back into the car and tried to connect to it with the windows 95 laptop, it asked for a password so I typed in the original password and its not recognised. Tried all the ones that I know but no joy.

The plan now is to take the eeprom back out and copy the data off the original eeprom onto the new and see what happens...

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #116 on: 16 April 2012, 12:20 »
I hope to f**k that mine hasnt gone wrong, sounds complex  :undecided:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #117 on: 16 April 2012, 19:10 »
Gonna have to make a circuit board to convert the original eeprom to a format that we can read, temporarily solder it onto this board to read the data, then save the data, unsolder eeprom and solder new one on, then write the data to the new eeprom, then unsolder and solder back into kstar unit!

Hopefully this will work, if not, I might be in the market for a different engine management system....

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #118 on: 12 June 2012, 13:24 »
Gonna have to make a circuit board to convert the original eeprom to a format that we can read, temporarily solder it onto this board to read the data, then save the data, unsolder eeprom and solder new one on, then write the data to the new eeprom, then unsolder and solder back into kstar unit!

Hopefully this will work, if not, I might be in the market for a different engine management system....

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #119 on: 12 June 2012, 15:23 »
The New eeprom for my Kstar finally arrived and is soldered into the unit, I reconnected the kstar back into the car and tried to connect to it with the windows 95 laptop, it asked for a password so I typed in the original password and its not recognised. Tried all the ones that I know but no joy.

The plan now is to take the eeprom back out and copy the data off the original eeprom onto the new and see what happens...

Go standalone. Kstar is old hat. You should be able to release alot more potential with an SEM  :wink:

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose