Author Topic: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild  (Read 41254 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild
« Reply #100 on: 04 December 2011, 12:35 »
No LSD, my car used to eat gearboxes, I blew the diff pins in a couple of boxes, then got a box rebuilt with bolted diff and that only lasted a bit longer than a standard box (and cost about 10x as much!). Then went with a mk3 box and its been ok for longer than all the other boxes put together. Famous last words!!!

What clutch do you run caistor_bmx? Mines a Helix Autosport . What's happening with your Golf now?

Not too fussed about the mirror, they are cheap and plentiful enough for it not to be a problem....

Mine is sat at home awaiting rescue. Running an audi a4 atm. IIRC the clutch is a standard g60- advised by Vince at Stealth Racing as its the only one he see's last a fair amount of time, I couldnt give you the exact spec though.  :nerd:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #101 on: 04 December 2011, 15:32 »
Hope you get yours sorted...

When I built mine, Vince recommended the Helix Autosport one, I'm on my second.... This is in 15 yrs mind!

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #102 on: 25 February 2012, 20:52 »
Just a small update, haven't really had time to do much to the car recently as I am so busy at work, getting home at 9-10 most nights. Also its been freezing in the garage.

I have managed to fix a small water leak, the only non samco hose in the engine bay had a tiny split in it, I had a spare piece of Samco so put that in and topped up with antifreeze.

Also, connected my laptop into the kstar unit (after getting the password off Vince at Stealth) and found that all the values were zero, luckily I had a backup of the original map so I wrote that back in. The engine was running and the note and idle improved immediately. This is probably due to the fact that the timing is retarded about 6 degrees on the distributor and this is compensated with the kstar.

Got a small problem with the idle, the control valve isn't buzzing so it isn't idleing that well.

Ordered and received the three sensors on the side of the head to try and also got another idle control unit to try. If anyone has any tips on troubleshooting the idle control circuit then they would be appreciated. I am hoping to have a look at this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if an 8v Idle control valve is the same as the 16v? I'm pretty sure I have at least one 8v one I could try.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #103 on: 01 March 2012, 00:54 »
Need to get some insulated overalls and thermos.

Idle Stabilise Valve and Idle Control Valve are the same things aren't they? I recall trying my 16v ISV on my mates G60 and it made the rev's sit really high. Will have a rummage and see if I have a spare 16v ISV or whether it got punted when I had a clear out.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #104 on: 01 March 2012, 11:32 »
Yep they are the same things, if you have a spare one then I would be interested (although I haven't had a chance to try any of the other bits yet!)

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #105 on: 03 March 2012, 19:19 »
Changed the sensors, remade a couple of corroded connections and got the ISV buzzing.

However, I have discovered that I have a faulty ignition control module, part no: Bosch 191 905 351A

The car wasn't starting very well, if I tap the module the car cuts out, all connections are fine...

Anyone got one?

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #106 on: 08 March 2012, 22:53 »
I'll as my mate Alex as I'm sure he sourced one recently. I can't find any parts of mine as I'm mid flitting will give you a shout when I get everything in one place and out of plastic bags and cardboard boxes :wink:

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #107 on: 11 March 2012, 20:29 »
Don't worry about it, I got one off Ken, which I fitted and discovered that it was only a bad earth on the ECU tray causing the problem.

At least I now have a spare ignition amp!

Found out today that my KStar unit isn't holding the map settings, if I write them in from a saved map, then turn the car off and start it again then I can't read the unit and have to write the map back into it, if I don't turn the ignition off I can disconnect and reconnect and read the kstar with no problems.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #108 on: 01 April 2012, 20:26 »
Sorted out an annoying problem today, the oil pressure buzzer was sounding and the light flashing if I revved the car over 2k.

I had remade the connections to the oil pressure switch but this hadn't sorted it, so I ordered a new switch (white) and fitted it today - problem solved.

I fitted a BUCKET seat as I wanted to move the car off the pit so I could do an oil and filter change on the Impreza.

:grin:

Typically, the eeprom for my faulty kstar unit has been on back order for about three weeks now!

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #109 on: 03 April 2012, 13:05 »
Ah yes, Oor Wullie Racing seats. Very big this year. :cool: