Author Topic: Project Zippy (Midas Mk1 Coupe) Engine In!  (Read 63803 times)

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: My New Long-Term Non Dub Project (Midas Mk1 Coupe)
« Reply #60 on: 07 July 2012, 13:44 »
Going to stick some Hi Lo's in?  :cool:

Thom

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #61 on: 10 July 2012, 19:44 »
Going to stick some Hi Lo's in?  :cool:

Thom

Oh yes!  :grin: :cool:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #62 on: 11 July 2012, 22:18 »
Been following this but never commented; good work  :smiley:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 11 July 2012, 22:36 »
only just seen this... terrific work :afro:

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 14 July 2012, 16:22 »
Guy, Thom, Rhyso - thanks muchly! It's good to know people appreciate what I am doing!  :laugh:

Having returned from a week in the Lake District (too much food, alcohol and walks - my legs hurt like hell after the first 2 days!) it was time to set about removing what was left on the shell. I started off with the damper brackets. 4 nuts to undo each side; how difficult could it be? Driver's side was a piece of cake although a bit of a struggle due to the limited access and excess rust (as usual). Turns out the bottom 2 nuts are on captive bolts. These are in the main crossmember and are inaccesible other than through the hole where the subframe tower bolts go. Which is virtually impossible without a very weird tool which I don't have. The passenger side however, because I started it on Friday 13th, was an absolute backside of a job. 3 of the nuts came off easily, but the fourth broke its captive mounting so the whole bolt just spun. Because it is in such a stupid place there was no way I could get to it. Due to the rust I would need to replace said bolt anyway, so out came my old buddy Dremel and I cut the nut & bolt off. The build manual states that it's a special plate with captive nuts that needs to be pushed in with a screwdriver. I'll have to get creative and build a couple of new ones. The damper brackets themselves are a bit strange - they're like a Mini damper bracket but with an extra bit welded on and with extra holes. And of course they are ridiculously rusty... Wire brush time methinks...

Next up were the brackets which the front subframe mounts bolt to. These were surprisingly simple and in fairly good nick, so just a spanner and ratchet needed here. They are slightly different though - wonder if these were made up by someone who got the dimensions wrong and one had to be changed?

For the sake of undoing six bolts the steering column and rack had to go. The column needed a bit of persuasion to part company with the rack (my rubber mallet helped!) but was soon off. It doesn't appear to be in bad nick, and the splines look in good condition. The rack was a bit of a surprise though. It wasn't as healthy as I had initially thought. It was ridiculously stiff, the track rod ends were shot to bits and the gaiters were damaged and perished. Time for a new one then. At least I've got a couple of brand-new old stock track rod ends on the shelf that came with the car. The rack still has that poxy gold Hammerite on it...

Walking around the car I removed the passenger side mirror blank. This was held on by a single rusty screw, which had of course seized solid and would not turn. However, I ground a straight slot in the screw with the Dremel, then used a flat balde screwdriver to undo it. It had released itself from the fibreglass due to the heat from the grinding. I also removed the two bits of rubber at the front of the rear wheelarches using the same technique. These are very strange. They appear to be protecting the beam assembly from the road grime and salt kicked up by the wheels and have been constructed of what appears to be an old inner tube. I will see what I can create to replace them.

The throttle pedal was next. It's one of the earlier (i.e Mini Mk 1-3 ) smaller pedals, but mine has a Speedwell extension on it, which I rather like. However, because of where the pedal has been placed, the extension fouls on the wheelarch so you can't get full throttle. I am not sure whether to simply remove the extension or re-mount the pedal (the captive bolts & bracket are a bit badly made) about 5mm closer to the centre of the car. I need to consider my options!

Also, after helping a good friend with his Elf, I found myself the lucky recipient of a modified Maniflow centre-exit back-box. Which may be used in due course...

There's very little left on the shell now bar the doors (which I want to get hanging properly before I take them apart), the brake & fuel lines, the rear wiring loom and about 3 bolts/studs. Almost everything is off!!

First bracket off

Nearside bracket viewed from under the wheelarch, with stubborn nut and broken captive bolt.

And out. A couple of minor grazes from the Dremel. Time for de-rusting.

Subframe front brackets & spreader plates. These will be repainted. Note they're different...

Column out - seems in good nick - I will re-do the bushes though!

Rack not so good...

... here's why #1...

... and here's why #2

Mirror blank off. It's ugly under there!!

Odd rubber things from the back of the car

New old stock track rod ends. Yay!

Throttle pedal. Decisions, decisions...

Modified Maniflow backbox - I may well use this!

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 22 July 2012, 21:10 »
Having bashed into the subframe for the umpteenth time this week whilst in the garage, I thought it was about time to clean it up. As it was a nice day (what's one of those??!!) I chucked it outside on the workbench and set about it with the angle grinder. After a couple of minutes it went "pop" and proceeded to spit bits of plastic all over the place. I opened it up and more bits fell out. It didn't work any more. And it was (typically) 13 months old and I had no receipt, having thrown it out the previous month... I bought a new big yellow one (as much as funds would allow anyway)from the conveniently newly-opened local Machine Mart and it breezed through the rest of the stripping with no bother at all. I didn't take all the old paint off (no point really), just the stuff with rust near it and the nasty flaky stuff.

I have given one side of the subframe a good coat of Hammerite and will flip it over and do the other side next.

I also managed to get the handbrake cable assembly apart (had to resort to Dremel-ing off the nut which had rusted solid). This will be de-rusted, painted and reconditioned with new stainless bolts etc.

Subframe before stripping

Angle Grinder went pop...

.. to be replaced by a big heavy duty yellow one

Subframe stripped...

...and painted

Handbrake assembly finally apart. Very rusty.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #66 on: 23 July 2012, 01:23 »
Great work, you keep picking off those little bits and pieces, and before you know it, you'll be running out of things to do!

Thom

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 24 July 2012, 21:28 »
It was time to try to get the Midas out of the garage. Normally this would have meant getting it back on its wheels, but I had a secret weapon called Shaun. He had liberated an old trolley cage from his work (due to be scrapped) and cut the handles off. This gave us a lovely flat platform and a very sturdy set of wheels. The question was how to get the bodyshell on to it. Given that the pair of us would give a few rugby forwards a good test, it really was no problem at all. One at each end and lift. It really was that light.

We lined up the trolley, lifted up the rear end and slid it under, then removed all the axle stands. We then pushed it out into the evening sunlight and lined it up so it sat on the trolley better. I swept out the garage and then we pushed it back in. Brilliant!

The Midas trolley, as modelled by Fred, next door's large Tabby.

Lining it up (Shaun posing)

Out on the drive, having been lowered into place properly.

And back in the garage. If I need it moved I just push it out of the way!

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 13 August 2012, 17:13 »
I had a little thought about the captive bolts for the damper mounts and hated the single washer idea that Midas came up with. Instead I have used much heavier gauge metal (it was once part of the bracket that the old oil cooler was mounted to) and after some careful measuring made 2 small brackets, each with 2 holes in for the bolts. I then went round to my friend Mike's house and welded in some bolts to make them captive. Once of them isn't that great (not enough gas) but once it's in place no-one's gonna see it so I don't care! I have checked and I can (just about!) get them into place via the tower bolt holes in the crossmember.

I then realised just how disgustingly dirty the poor little car had become whilst in the garage so I pushed it out onto the driveway and gave it (and the disgusting heater pipes) a blast with my newly acquired Karcher Pressure Washer (total cost: free). It's come up relatively clean too. The pipes look a bit different - there's no dirt on them now! Once dry (ater a few days baking in the garage...) I hoovered it out. It's a bit cleaner, but not much...

I had a look at my newly machined engine bits. I will start putting it together once I get my hands on a decent camshaft (awaiting funds) and new oil pump amongst other things. In the meantime it will be safely wrapped and dry-stored.

The other door panel was finally removed (now I could actually get to the passenger side of the car) and unsurprisingly there were problems. That old chestnut of the stuck rusty screws reared its ugly head again. This time it was the window winder screw and one of the small screws holding the panel on. I was able to Dremel a slot in the small screw to get a flatblade screwdriver on it which was no problem, but the winder screw was not budging. So I drilled it out. It may take a bit of work to get the stub out, but given the state of the panel holding the winder gear in place, I might convert to electric winders if I can find something small enough to fit.

I continued to look around the car to see if there was anything else to remove; there was an exhaust hanger on the rear valance which was a bit stubborn and the interior wiring loom. This has been butchered a bit - there were strange soldered bits on it with no insulation. I am undecided whether to use this or make a new one from a Mini loom. It all depends how usable it turns out to be.

Captive bolts on brackets. These have now been painted.

Dirty shell

Filthy Pipes

Clean(er) shell...

...and pipes

Beautiful block

+020 pistons fitted to balanced rods

Valves & Springs

Big Valve Head

Door Panel Off

Awful state of window winder panel

Exhaust hanger finally off; this was binned...

Butchered loom. Time to replace or just repair and insulate?

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 13 August 2012, 17:14 »
That's some good work there :afro:

Down Hill From Here.