Author Topic: NickH-D's 87 GTi MK2  (Read 4672 times)

Offline NickH-D

• Not said much yet
  • '87 Golf GTi Mk2
NickH-D's 87 GTi MK2
« on: 17 May 2011, 12:09 »
Just bought myself a '87 Golf GTi, this is exactly how it came, so work needs doing, new bumpers will most likely be the first job (if anybody has a cheap set of nice small/big bumpers that I can replace the current ones with, please let me know!)

how much work is power steering? I'm gonna have arms like pop-eye if I have to keep turning this wheel!

intended work so far;

- CLEAN - give it a good wash, and see what I'm left with lol
- bumper replacement
- paintjob (once new bumpers fitted)
- I was considering taking away the gti trim, but I've decided to keep it, and give it a refresh
- new wheels (Calibre Vintage) - this will be one of the last things, as it does already have alloys and it doesn't NEED new ones

as it stands:

« Last Edit: 23 August 2011, 17:13 by NickH-D »
1987 (E) Golf GTi MK2
2009 (59) Fiat 500
2010 (60) Corsa-D

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
Re: My new toy to work on
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2011, 12:14 »
That looks like a relatively clean car. Shouldn't be too much work to get it looking good.

Offline NickH-D

• Not said much yet
  • '87 Golf GTi Mk2
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 12:17 »
The panels that had rust/damage/holes etc have already been filled/sanded etc (i.e. the light grey patches), so the bodywork is already quite tidy, no rust etc, not bad overall for 23 years old!

I could technically just re-adjust the current bumpers to make them fit properly if I wanted to do totally budget, which is an option (as I also run a '60 plate corsa and my wifes '59 plate fiat 500 lol), but if I can find some cheap originals with splitters, I'd be very very happy :)
1987 (E) Golf GTi MK2
2009 (59) Fiat 500
2010 (60) Corsa-D

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2011, 13:34 »
Looks a good project.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 14:46 »
Looks like a solid base..... get yourself a project page and dub rides thread going!. :afro:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 15:08 »
please remove that front bumper it looks horrid lol.. as said good base  :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline NickH-D

• Not said much yet
  • '87 Golf GTi Mk2
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2011, 15:28 »
lol yea as said the bumpers are the first things to change, the rear will change too as it doesn't fit flush. How do I open a project page, I went into that section but theres no 'New Topic' like the other sections, am I just being dense?  :rolleyes:
1987 (E) Golf GTi MK2
2009 (59) Fiat 500
2010 (60) Corsa-D

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2011, 15:41 »
Primer = water absorbent.

Strip it all off and re-work to top coat, or you'll never get a good finish on that.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline NickH-D

• Not said much yet
  • '87 Golf GTi Mk2
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2011, 08:34 »
Got myself rear clear lights instead of the smoked set, so will look at installing them, also got a donor headunit and sub/amp that we took out of my wife's Beetle project when we sold it. I wouldn't usually be too fussed about installing the sub etc, but at the moment it's just sat in our house taking up the corner of a bedroom, so I may aswell connect it!

Also priced up new front/rear bumpers, with splitters (thanks for the link Thom), so as soon as I finish the website project I'm working on, they'll be ordered :D once they're fitted, next job will be trim, arches and paintjob :)
1987 (E) Golf GTi MK2
2009 (59) Fiat 500
2010 (60) Corsa-D

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2011, 19:34 »
Just a thought...

If the steering is uber heavy you may have seized top-mount bearings, something thats easily missed by a garage from personal experience. Unfortunately if you jack it up and try the steering, all the weight is off the suspension so it will turn freely anyway.

I don't think a semi will give the same results