Author Topic: My mk3 1.4 banger  (Read 19669 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: My mk3 1.4 banger
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2011, 21:37 »
Yeah, make sure it doesn't fail  :laugh:

No but seriously make sure silly things won't fail you, like no water in the windscreen washer, airbag/abs lights on, wipers don't wiper properly, the spare tyre is bold or damaged (remove it if it is, rules say a spare tyre is optional but if it is equipped then it must be in sound condition). Other than that good luck :afro:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2011, 21:59 »
Aha, thats top of my list  :grin:

Ok will do, cant wait to get it on the road, need my license first though  :laugh: But my dad will be driving it to keep it running for the time being  :smiley: It doesnt have airbags or abs, so thats 2 less things to worry about i guess  :wink:

Ill get some work done on it tomorrow i will update when its all done  :smiley:

Cheers for the advice/help  :cool:

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2011, 22:40 »
COILOVERS wound all the way down and 16'' alloys, job done! :afro:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2011, 23:08 »
Aha i really want to drop it, but i dont have the money for coilovers  :cry:
Is there any other way of lowering it? cutting an old set of springs from a scrappy maybe?  :huh:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2011, 23:14 »
Good to hear you've sorted the idle issue out, what was it?

Hot air pipe isn't totally useless, it aids the running of the engine when cold and can be especially useful in cold weather.

Don't chop springs... to lower cheaply, at least buy a set of lowering springs or look for some cheap second hand deals.

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2011, 23:29 »
The idle problem ended up being my acu needed resetting took all of 1 minute to fix after being out there for 5 hours the day before  :sad:
Never mind to learn you have to fail first  :grin:

Yeah for the summer i might run without it but for winter i may fit it again. but by the time i have passed my test summer is going to be over i reckon  :laugh:
Never mind.
Hmmmmm money is rather tight atm saving for insurance paying for lessons and also trying to live a life of pubs and i have a rather expensive girlfriend  :grin: Lowering it might have to wait a few months unless a car up my local scrappy has a set of coilovers on it and i can pick them up really cheap  :smiley:

Got offered a set of multi spoke rims earlier for £40 very tempted to spray them matt black keep you guys posted on that  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2011, 23:37 »
Nice little project car :afro:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2011, 23:37 »
Easy..... Sack off the girlfriend then.  :grin:

Or just cut down on the booze, will be good practice for when you have passed and want to drive and can't drink.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2011, 23:38 »
Nice car as a first car :afro:

Just my tuppence worth, if you've not passed your test yet i'd hang fire on any mods until you know how much your insurance will be when you pass! Young male + no driving experience + modified car = stupendously high premium! :wink:

I'd concentrate on getting the boot sprayed, give it a general spruce up and get it through the MOT. Enjoy driving for a couple of years and get some experience under your belt. Then a few years down the line look at modding or upgrading to a faster car etc.

I had a 1.4 mk3 as my first car, kept it pretty standard and couldn't fault it:

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2011, 23:46 »
Well i have stopped drinking as much as i used to but only because i now see the girlfriend more, but hay lifes good i cant complain.  :smiley:

I checked the insurance on my own it will be £2000 thats paying monthly so...... for the first year maybe 2 as im only 19 im going on my mums insurance so it will now only cost me £1000 £200 deposit and nine payments of £79 or summit like that, so for my age and for a 1.4 its not to bad,and the mods im thinking of doing wont need to be told to the insurance company like joey mod, airbox and what not, and i havnt got to the money to lower it so atm im all good cant complain considering it was FREE  :grin:

Hopefully going t be mot'ing it in may so my mum/dad can drive it to keep it off the drive way  :smiley:
But before then every time im off work i shall be working on it, just got told of my parents that it has a small leak somewhere near the water pump so i may have to see if something has come lose or weather im going to have to stick my hand in my pocket to solve it  :sad:  :grin:

Cheers for the interest and advice guys i really appreciate it  :smiley: