Author Topic: mk3 8v GTI  (Read 18564 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: mk3 8v GTI
« Reply #60 on: 19 April 2011, 07:16 »
i just want to know which one I am scrapping first  :evil:

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #61 on: 19 April 2011, 20:48 »
so rude! :laugh:

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 21 April 2011, 17:48 »
busy day of fiddling today!
had delivery of yet more parts yesterday.

new topmounts
new ecu relay
new rocker cover gasket

intention today was to do all jobs, i started by stripping all the ancillaries off the rocker cover to change that and as i got it off this is what it looked like.

again, the previous owner had attacked it with a rattle can and done a bad job, seeing as i didnt have much on today i thought i would paint it :smiley:

started by lightly cleaning it with degreaser inside and out, then i got my trusty electric drill out with wire brush attachment and gave it a good clean up.
then it went for a heavy bath in degreaser and a good scrubbing....luckily the missus was out shopping today because if she saw this in the kitchen sink she would have killed me! :laugh:

and the result after drying:

then, i prepped it for paint and masked off bits i didnt fancy spraying. the paint i went for was just a high temperature paint from Halfords. the colour is a dark flecked silver. Gave it 3 coats at about 20 minute intervals and left to dry for an extra hour to be safe.

et voila:

then gave the threads and head the once over so the new gasket sealed well, cleaned up a few nuts and bolts and put it all back together.

here is how she looks now which is a big improvement but is still let down the red block which i will get around to sorting later in the year.

changed the ecu relay over and next on the list was the topmounts but alas some pikey (my old man :rolleyes:) has hoofed my swan neck spanners so i couldnt get the nut off!

decided to marvel at what i had accomplished already today and leave it there! am about to head to the beer garden instead! :cool:

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #63 on: 27 April 2011, 07:57 »
Looks much better mate,  :cool:

whats the resaon for changing the ecu relay?  :undecided:

GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 28 April 2011, 23:31 »
cheers mate :smiley:

reason for doing it was i wanted to eliminate a common failing! which i thought it did for all of 20 minutes! since found out the stuttering issue is down to the crank sensor *i think* which has a split in it close to where it enters the engine! :rolleyes:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #65 on: 28 April 2011, 23:48 »
cheers mate :smiley:

reason for doing it was i wanted to eliminate a common failing! which i thought it did for all of 20 minutes! since found out the stuttering issue is down to the crank sensor *i think* which has a split in it close to where it enters the engine! :rolleyes:

You should of seen the state of the one that was on the Anni, both ends had exposed wires and the like!

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 28 April 2011, 23:51 »
:shocked:

lucky you have a donor car at the moment then! ive got some more bits im after too! will let you know!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #67 on: 28 April 2011, 23:52 »
:shocked:

lucky you have a donor car at the moment then! ive got some more bits im after too! will let you know!

I did manage to find a crank sensor from a reputable place for £35 (normally about £70 odd?), I'll try finding the link.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 28 April 2011, 23:54 »
that would be good bud :afro: as long as its good quality as ive heard storys about ebay specials and the like lasting all of 2 weeks before giving up!

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 02 May 2011, 16:20 »
small update.

last on my list for the running issue problems was the cranks sensor. so toddled off to GSF told him i wanted the car club discount and handed over 40 queen sheets!

fitting this was very fiddly but after reading what everyone else did and haynes manual said i decided to do it my way! :grin:

so instead of draining the oil and removing the filter which seemed a wee bit dramatic to get at the little blighter i took the front engine mount bracket off completely off which just gives enough room to get your hand in and remove the little sh!t of a allen key screw holding the sensor in. it is definately 5mm by the way (for everyone who needs to do this!) i doubted myself for quite a while and cursed away but after removing the 14 years of crap i managed to get it off!

well here is old against new, the blue tape is something i did as a temporary measure as the wires were fully exposed, also at the sensor end the wire was starting to come away from the unit which couldnt have been helping at all.

after this i had another look at the sills on both sides of the car and was pleasantly surprised to see they dont need alot of work welding wise which will be done in the next few weeks at my mates! very much looking forward to this as i get to play with a plasma cutter too which will be fun!!! :laugh:

next up is the top mounts to be sorted, i was waiting on a tidy set of koni adjustables but even after the matey promised to keep them for me til today as i was away he sold them yesterday! :rolleyes:

no matter as i will put my AP coilovers on from my mk2 which will be abit firmer but will handle alot better.

parts still to fit:

arb drop links
track rod ends
bushes for wishbones

thats just because im being fussy. still lots to do (in my eyes) and enjoying the fiddling it has to be said! :smiley: