Author Topic: mk3 8v GTI  (Read 18399 times)

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
mk3 8v GTI
« on: 20 February 2011, 16:43 »
well as some know and have already taken the piss i thought i best get a thread up!

the new daily as my cheap polo has given up the ghost now! looked at a few golfs like mk4's and 2 mk2's but for the money they werent much cop and needed alot doing to them. so plan is still to find a tidy mk2 shell to refit all my goodies to off my rusty old shell but in no rush!
Bought this reasonably local for what i considered cheap, mk3 8v black 5 door GTI, has had a respray at some point which is of a good standard and sets the car off nicely, full service history, clean interior, cambelt done in 2009 but the car has only covered 2000 miles since then. Has been well looked after it seems. the guy i had it from just wanted rid as it was blocking his drive (no boats jokes)!

only pic i took of it today was this:

a few bubbly rust spots which again i will get a mate of mine to sort by cutting out and respraying! one on o/s rear door under window which isnt too bad and rear of arch on the same side!

spent quite abit of time on it today as it does need things doing!
firstly i got in the engine bay as i noticed a few things werent secured properly. main ones were brackets for the power steering hoses so got them on properly job done! next the clutch is biting abit high so checked the cable and found it wasnt a straight feed to the retainer. after fixing that it still bit high so im going to swap it out for a manual adjusting one as the auto ones seem to be really pap on golfs! pic of the bay, as you can see some numpty thought it would be a great idea to buy a can of red spray paint and attack the block!  :shocked: :rolleyes: i will get round to cleaning this up later in the year!

battery tray area, not sure if they as prone to rot as mk2's but looks tidy enough! :smiley:

After this i got underneath to check the sills, o/s front is fooked and needs replacing as it has a small rat hole in it, sills it seems are reasonably priced and can be sourced from a company in Westbury which is on my way to work so i will get on and order one tomorrow and my friend can weld it for me! :afro:
other side seems fine and just a clean down with a wire brush and some lovely waxoyl was all that was needed to tidy it up!
noticed that there was a perished drain plug in the floor pan so ripped it out and a nice bit of water came out! great! (get round to the follow up on this in abit)! unsure if im going to weld this up myself or try to replace some of the steel thats rotted away which isnt much to be fair! pics:

After i was happy with that got her jacked up and checked bushes, wishbones etc on the front end! she needs anti roll bar drop links, im going to replace the wishbones as its a nightmare getting new bushes into the old ones from past experience and it does need them, being as you can get them ready fitted as an option this is the route im going to take! it also needs a n/s front wheel bearing as there is slight play, will get this sorted next week with my fitter in work for a few quid! (joys of joint managing our fleet and fitters! :grin:)
all the other parts will be ordered in the next few weeks and fitted together! will update with pics etc :smiley:

Next up was the rear end, both wheels had play in them when jacked up so i got them off and nipped up the bearings, whilst i was there i checked pads and discs which will need changing in a few months to be fair. also noted on the last mot was an advisory for corroded rear brake pipes which after looking at them seems abit keen as there arent any leaks and its just the paint which has come off, thats what you get for taking the car to a dealer to be mot'd! :rolleyes:

the car has boge turbos all round it seems which are absolutely funked so one of the first mods will be some new ones, not going coilies this time as its a daily so a cheeky drop will do, unless anyone has other advice i will probably go for the Weitec GT setup!

oh one thing i missed out was the heat shield was rattling like mad on the downpipe so i got some clips round that which seems to have stopped it! bloody annoying noise it was too!
inspected the exhaust as it seemed to be blowing abit, couldnt see any holes so will just replace the rear end, the back box had come away from the bush so got it all on properly which seems to have made a difference in noise! front end has a straight through stainless steel pipe which is good!

after all that i got back inside to investigate the water spilling out of the drain plug issue, driver footwell was sodden, passenger was damp but not too bad and this had obviously moved to the rear too! it seems like it has been there for a while with the stink that came out as i pulled the carpet up. the sound deadening material fell apart so i will be replacing that aswell.

Dried it out for a few hours and put the carpet back down. plan is to pull the whole lot out as i cant find where the leak is coming from all spots that are usually the offenders arent blocked and the heaters work fine and dont smell so i dont suspect the heater matrix!  :undecided:

thats it for now guys, productive day for once!  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 13 March 2011, 18:22 by dan_apps »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: mk3 8v GTI Ho Box!
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2011, 16:49 »
Looks a good buy :afro:

Just run a spring / shock kit and a 40mm drop.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2011, 18:37 »
Just found my leak(s) into passanger side. First was the drain grommet in the door stop was missing, causing water to enter via door loom. The second was the door seal where it joins at the bottom. There should be a metal connector type thing I think, but all that was left was a crumble of rust coloured bits! Worth a check anyway mate!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2011, 19:02 »
Welcome to the merry band of sailors :grin:

The drain holes in the floor pan are notorious for rusting, mine are going to need welding in the near future :undecided:

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2011, 20:06 »
Just found my leak(s) into passanger side. First was the drain grommet in the door stop was missing, causing water to enter via door loom. The second was the door seal where it joins at the bottom. There should be a metal connector type thing I think, but all that was left was a crumble of rust coloured bits! Worth a check anyway mate!

will have a look thanks for the heads up! :afro:

Welcome to the merry band of sailors :grin:

The drain holes in the floor pan are notorious for rusting, mine are going to need welding in the near future :undecided:

yes unsure if im going to weld up entirely but it hasnt done a very good job of letting water out anyway! :rolleyes:

yes certainly is a heavy boat mind, doesnt handle aswell as the mk2, although that was polybushed and on coils!

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2011, 20:37 »
Got mine welded up and havent had any issues! Looks like quite a good buy anyway mate. Welcome to the world of proper GTI motoring  :grin: :grin: :lipsrsealed:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2011, 21:13 »
It is wise to leave those grommets in, they are fitted for a reason.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2011, 21:47 »
 :lipsrsealed:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2011, 22:20 »
:rolleyes: you keep worrying about your wheel bags and sun blinds sunshine! :grin:

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2011, 22:23 »
It is wise to leave those grommets in, they are fitted for a reason.

On my old 16v I had at least 3 welded up and I belive there purely for drainage I cant really see why it would be a problem to weld the ones that are rotton oh nice mk3 by the way  :wink:
Golf Gti