Author Topic: Which way does the engine turn?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2010, 00:29 »
He got the point across though ben


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2010, 09:24 »
Either I'm being dim, or abrasive, but he's recommending a bi-hex socket over a 7 sided socket?

If anything, a standard (6 sided) hex socket, on the crank pulley, turned cw - or a splined tool on the flywheel turned acw, there's very few situations I would recommend bi-hex.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2010, 09:44 »
6 sided sockets would be better aye, but later crank bolts are 12 point, not 6 ;)

edit: oh and no danger of loosening the bolt if you turn engine anti-clockwise, its done up to uber torque. in fact if it does undo then you have saved potential engine damage by discovering an issue. can turn the engine anti-clockwise a little bit if say trying to line up the timing marks it wont effect anything. take the spark plugs out too, will save you fighting against the engine compression
« Last Edit: 29 October 2010, 09:47 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2010, 10:17 »
I remember changing my main crank bolt for a MK1 bolt due to the fact they stretch rather than sheer off!
Can't remember why the later ones (MKII) sheered off and the MK1's just stretched which would save your head. Just remember to lock thread solution that bolt before torq just incase LOL!
Its defo 12 pointed I think its called triple square (4x3=12 pointed star) which should be the same as spline drive.
 

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2010, 12:23 »
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't get a chance to have a go at the engine last night as I was too busy blowing holes in rusty metal with the MiG...

Also It's an ABF from an M reg car so 94/95ish, doubt that makes any difference though.

I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck in tonight, made up some repair panels at work today. :nerd:


Precision bodging

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2010, 21:30 »
engines are actualy best left well allone when in storage.   bit of white grease down the inlet and exhaust ports if there exposed and a bit of oil down the plug holes is all they ever need

if keep spinning an engine over by hand it's do more damage than good as it just helps the oil get out
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2010, 20:20 »
engines are actualy best left well allone when in storage.   bit of white grease down the inlet and exhaust ports if there exposed and a bit of oil down the plug holes is all they ever need

if keep spinning an engine over by hand it's do more damage than good as it just helps the oil get out

good to know , I've ignored it as been too busy choppin cancer out of the mk2. :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.