Author Topic: Which way does the engine turn?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Which way does the engine turn?
« on: 28 October 2010, 14:26 »
Got an ABF sitting in the garage and would like to "turn it over by hand",

I know I'll need to remove the spark plugs and I'll need to attach a socket/ wrench somewhere. But beyond that I'm a bit flummoxed.

Any help would be great :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2010, 14:30 »
CW


Looking from the front mr pedantic. :tongue:

It will need to go on the big central nut iirc assuming you are getting it lined up for timing.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 17:20 by Agreeable Slick »

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2010, 15:52 »
CW

Is that looking from the front or the back of the engine :evil: :evil:

Thom

Offline Mitching

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2010, 16:19 »
Judging by the way the belts go, and the fact its FWD I'd say it goes forward, or clockwise as if you're looking at it from the front of the engine bay.

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2010, 16:39 »
clockwise to go forwards and anti when its in reverse??? :laugh:

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2010, 16:43 »
right you are clockwise it is, as in if you were looking in the front of the engine bay.

what bit do you attach the socket to? This may seem blindingly obvious to you guys, but bodywork is more my thing...

I imagine it'll be down on the left hand side amongst the pulleys, crank pulley?


Cheers for the replies guys :cool:


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2010, 17:37 »
Crank pulley :cool:
Thom

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2010, 17:53 »
Use a multi splined (not a 50p hex) 19mm socket on the bolt in the centre of the crank pulley, not the 4 or so allen key bolts that hold the pas/alt pulley to it. If ure under the front drivers side arch it turns clockwise, don't go anticlockwise cos if u do manage to slacken the bolt off/break the seal on the bolt it may loosen and kill the crank keyway, then the pulley moves, and dependin on how bad it goes u could kill valves/pistons. If I go slightly past the tdc mark, rather than go back on it,i go all the way round again to not risk loosenin it

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2010, 23:40 »
Coolio, ta for info. saved a labourious search. Meant to mention engine is parked at the side of the workshop under a tarpaulin.

Heard bad things about knackered keyways. hopefully be all good though.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Which way does the engine turn?
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2010, 23:51 »
Use a multi splined (not a 50p hex) 19mm socket on the bolt in the centre of the crank pulley, not the 4 or so allen key bolts that hold the pas/alt pulley to it. If ure under the front drivers side arch it turns clockwise, don't go anticlockwise cos if u do manage to slacken the bolt off/break the seal on the bolt it may loosen and kill the crank keyway, then the pulley moves, and dependin on how bad it goes u could kill valves/pistons. If I go slightly past the tdc mark, rather than go back on it,i go all the way round again to not risk loosenin it

What weird ass 50 pence coins do you have ... they have 7 sides?!