Author Topic: Thinking the unthinkable  (Read 4509 times)

Offline mr burns

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Thinking the unthinkable
« on: 27 October 2010, 07:39 »
Hi all
 I,m getting 300 miles a tank can anyone tell me is this about average and because of this I,m toying with swapping my mk2 gti with a Skoda vRS Tdi yes I did say Skoda, now apart from looks wise they are as dull as a nun on a night out the tempting part is 130 bhp only group 8-9 unlike the gti group 14 , £125 tax a yr not £220 and the big one is 550 miles a tank not 300 miles my golf is looking and running brilliantly having lots spent please someone talk me out of this dark place :laugh:

Offline JC

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 13,393
  • Back in the North.
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2010, 07:42 »
the skoda that was quicker round the top gear test track than a mini thingy.  :lipsrsealed:

NOWT boring about TDi these days.  :grin:

Enjoy the dark pump.

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2010, 07:48 »
Hi mate
 
Around town i get upto 280 from a tank in a 1.8 16v which is better than my mk4 gti turbo :grin:, for you i suppose it depends on how many miles you do per week/ month, I always look on it another way, a newer car will lose value where as the long term future of a gti is hopefully an investment which is going up in value, I know what your saying about cheaper tax,insurance, fuel costs but how much depreciation will the VRS lose per year??
tough decision mate I know but plenty to look at and check up on :rolleyes:

Offline lewis1641

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,894
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2010, 11:08 »
the other thing to consider with modern diesels is the cost to fix when they go wrong

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2010, 11:40 »
the other thing to consider with modern diesels is the cost to fix when they go wrong

This is really not a consideration, as with any newer car they will be expensive to fix. So it's proportional to every car from 2002+.

I would say go for it, and if you can, keep hold of the mk2. They are fast becoming weekend cars, as the economy of them is not brilliant, and they need almost constant attention.

The VRS is by no means a dull car to drive. The interior is typical VAG bland, but it's very well made and not slow in any sense.

Offline Gloves88

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 609
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2010, 13:06 »
This is really not a consideration, as with any newer car they will be expensive to fix. So it's proportional to every car from 2002+.

I would say go for it, and if you can, keep hold of the mk2. They are fast becoming weekend cars, as the economy of them is not brilliant, and they need almost constant attention.

The VRS is by no means a dull car to drive. The interior is typical VAG bland, but it's very well made and not slow in any sense.

I second this.

Mate has one with a hybrid turbo, intercooler etc etc putting out 215bhp and 310lb-ft and still gets 50mpg.

Makes them a fun car to drive while still being economical

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2010, 20:29 »
http://www.tdisport.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=6149

Click on the op's links in his sigs. Once you've had a sorted diesel you'll never look back, but as said before, if you can, keep your Mk2. I wouldn't be without mine.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2010, 20:40 »
Not My Cuppa - But I understand the reasoning behind it...  :wink:

I would carefully weigh up the extra cost of the Car (Depreciation, spares etc), cost of Diesel, extra cost of Servicing etc etc - before taking the plunge...

Extra MPG is great but at what cost!! I know your not buying a new one, but a few reviews of modern Diesels I have read seem to reach the conclusion that unless you are doing BIG mileage the extra costs outweigh the MPG bonus!!

Other Thing; MK2 Golf 100 points Street Cred, Skoda -10 Points... :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2010, 20:55 »
Except for the costs are not all they are made out to be. Service periods are longer, there is less to go wrong ignition wise, the engines are over-engineered for what they are made to do.

Oh and the fact that diesels now share 50% of the market tends to put down the theory that they are not worth the cost.

I.E. 1.4TDI polo = 550miles to a tank ave.
     1.2 seat ibiza = 340miles to a tank ave.

The only way a diesel can be classed as non beneficial is to use a large engined diesel against a medium engine petrol as a comparison.

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2010, 20:56 »
Despite what the numbers say, there is always the perseption that diesel are cheaper to run (not necessarely (sp?) own) than petrols, therefore they will retain a higher residual value which you will see back when you come to sell it.

I don't do a huge mileage, but have 2 diesel cars. My Passat does around 14k a year and my wifes 307 about 10k. Neither have cost a great deal to maintain, and fuel costs have been minimal. As a daily I wouldn't have anything other than a diesel regardless of what mileage I did.

There's something about the effortless torque that just makes the mundane journeys that bit more relaxing.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.