Author Topic: Thinking the unthinkable  (Read 4500 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2010, 21:04 »
The only good thing about petrol is that you can rag them around  :laugh:

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2010, 21:13 »
Technically, the only good thing about petrol from a manufacturing point of view is thus.

a) power from small engines
b) no after treatment is required
c) smaller engines = less cost to manufacture.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2010, 21:15 »
and are cheaper to fix when something goes wrong!!

My sister in law HAD a Focus 1.8TDCI with 90K on it, that the fuel system went down... Turned out to be the fuel pump which in turn knacked the injectors - £2K to fix... We had to sell it as a non runner on Ebay...

I know this is a one off but still has to be taken into account when thinking about changing...

£2K buys you another Good MK2 and you still have one for spares.... :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2010, 21:28 »
and are cheaper to fix when something goes wrong!!

Like I said earlier in the thread, you cannot use this as an arguement. As cars get newer of course they are going to get more expensive to repair. You cannot say, don't get the VRS as the mk2 will be cheaper to repair, as they are worlds apart in terms of technology.

I.E. EGR valves, commonly go in both petrol and diesels. cost to replace £30-60 each for a oem part.

The example you have given is possibly the most expensive in the entire system (short of an engine failure)

The point here is that, sure it can be expensive to repair a modern car, but no more than is to be expected. What a diesel may cost for more serious repairs it more than makes up for in economies of scale re mpg and cost per mile.

Offline JC

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 13,393
  • Back in the North.
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2010, 21:30 »
ur just a dark pump freak slick  :tongue:

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2010, 21:56 »
Don't get the Skoda - they have too much weight over the front axle and it knackers the handling when you get enthusiastic.

It really isn't nice.

We had a Fabia vRS for about 6 months, but didn't rate the quality of the finish - nothing wrong with it per se, but it just felt cheap.

We have the same PD130 motor in our current Passat - a nice, big family car, which is where a diseasal motor belongs.

If you really don't mind driving something that feels cheap and drives like a lump hammer, go for it - it'll be cheap motoring.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2010, 23:12 »
Oh yes, forgot to mention that they do torque steer like a bastid. Interesting on roundabouts. Still ace little cars though.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2010, 00:17 »
I Agree with you to a point....

But like I posted earlier it depends on the mileage that you are doing... If it's only 5K a year then a diesel cost more overall if you do 50K then a diesel will save you bags of money...

Hence why I said do the sums...

and are cheaper to fix when something goes wrong!!
What a diesel may cost for more serious repairs it more than makes up for in economies of scale re mpg and cost per mile.

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2010, 07:49 »
Some of use prefer diesels regardless of running costs.  :smiley:

My Golf is fun for a B road blast now and again, but I wouldn't want to drive it every day.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Thinking the unthinkable
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2010, 08:54 »
I Agree with you to a point....

But like I posted earlier it depends on the mileage that you are doing... If it's only 5K a year then a diesel cost more overall if you do 50K then a diesel will save you bags of money...

Hence why I said do the sums...

and are cheaper to fix when something goes wrong!!
What a diesel may cost for more serious repairs it more than makes up for in economies of scale re mpg and cost per mile.

Milage is not an consideration, as it's usage dependent. Using milage as a basis as per your reasoning, the only reason I can see a petrol winning over a diesel is when it is shorter stop start journeys and inner city driving (in which your point is completely valid). However, even then the only way a petrol benefits is when it is a tiny engine pisspot i.e. aygo or similar.

Looking hypothetically:
5k miles a year, of which lets say 50% is motorway, (now with current mpg ratings you could go down as low as 30% of motorway usage) and the diesel is still going to be more cost effective to run, to the point of breaking even with a similar petrol.

I can understand your point completely, but the op is after something to benefit him long term from what I have read, and the diesel will tick all of the boxes, with little compromise. BUT if he can afford it, keep the petrol for some fun and back road blasts, as a free revving engine is always a good crack.

I have done my sums by the way fella, I work in a tier 1 OEM diesel supplier as an applications engineer, so this is kinda my job. :smiley: I do however have all the time in the world to discuss things like this. :cool: