Author Topic: mk2 abf conversion  (Read 8425 times)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
mk2 abf conversion
« on: 16 October 2010, 17:47 »
hey guys thinking on doing an abf conversion into an '85 mk2 and was wondering whats the story with running it on throttle bodies? a guy i no has Zx12r Itb's for sale and seeing as i am a complete newbie (but willing to work  :grin:) whats involved in it and mainly is it worth it?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2010, 19:12 »
Better and less hassle to run it on factory managment

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2010, 19:36 »
Use the search function.  Plenty of advice and opionion on the best methods.


Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2010, 21:21 »
thanks wayne
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2010, 22:31 »
Ask Diamond Hell for advice.  He'll be your best friend.


Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2010, 23:26 »
Got plenty of time and money?

Go ITBs and some sexy management.

Think 170bhp will be spicy enough for you in a stripped out G2 and you're tight?

Keep the OEM management.

Either way it'll be better than carbs or K-jet.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2010, 00:15 »
 :grin: and how much time and money are we speaking? should i invest in other things first to up the power? thanks diamond hell
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2010, 01:39 »
:grin: and how much time and money are we speaking? should i invest in other things first to up the power? thanks diamond hell

Decent filter, decent exhaust manifold + exhaust. Service items. Go from there :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: mk2 abf conversion
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2010, 11:52 »
thanks neo will do
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go