Author Topic: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft  (Read 42706 times)

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #50 on: 05 October 2010, 13:41 »
I've been looking on there alreayd but nothing seems to come up... stupid question no doubt but will they list it as a GK manifold or do I just have to risk buying one and see how it comes?
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #51 on: 05 October 2010, 14:00 »
did you not look at the links I posted re engine specs on club polo and club gti?  :rolleyes:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #52 on: 05 October 2010, 14:15 »
Ha yer had a look some of those sorg engines are an engineers dream! Cbr1000 heads on 1.3 bottom ends... I'm guessing they must have machined the pistons to allow for a 16valve head on there,thats my guess anyway. And then the cambelt route! Wow! I wish I could do that imagine that in a small golf  :smiley:

Could concider doing a 16valve conversion,wouldn't be out of the question. . . Would defintly be up that different street would it not,  :cool:

ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #53 on: 05 October 2010, 15:18 »
Ha yer had a look some of those sorg engines are an engineers dream! Cbr1000 heads on 1.3 bottom ends... I'm guessing they must have machined the pistons to allow for a 16valve head on there,thats my guess anyway. And then the cambelt route! Wow! I wish I could do that imagine that in a small golf  :smiley:

Could concider doing a 16valve conversion,wouldn't be out of the question. . . Would defintly be up that different street would it not,  :cool:



Cylinder head from a polo AFH  (1.4 16V) engine bolts up (I THINK. Could someone confirm this??) You've then got a few more options on fuel systems....

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #54 on: 05 October 2010, 15:43 »
Ha yer had a look some of those sorg engines are an engineers dream! Cbr1000 heads on 1.3 bottom ends... I'm guessing they must have machined the pistons to allow for a 16valve head on there,thats my guess anyway. And then the cambelt route! Wow! I wish I could do that imagine that in a small golf  :smiley:

Could concider doing a 16valve conversion,wouldn't be out of the question. . . Would defintly be up that different street would it not,  :cool:



Cylinder head from a polo AFH  (1.4 16V) engine bolts up (I THINK. Could someone confirm this??) You've then got a few more options on fuel systems....

You will need a later block, easier to fit the complete lump.

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #55 on: 05 October 2010, 17:18 »
If the cylinder from a AFH polo 16v did match up to 1.3 lowers then that would be ideal... Can anyone confirm this then?  :wink:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #56 on: 05 October 2010, 17:53 »
If the cylinder from a AFH polo 16v did match up to 1.3 lowers then that would be ideal... Can anyone confirm this then?  :wink:

I think it does. The AFH head will go straight onto a mk3 ABU block, and I've seen an ABU head on a 1.3 mk2 golf...does that make any sense?? I think the condition is the position of the combustion chamber...

The chamber is in the head on the AFH, so you need to make sure your pistons haven't got a CC in or your compression ratio will be shot.....

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #57 on: 05 October 2010, 20:35 »
Easy way to tell if you have early or later type engine is the rocker cover.

Early is held on with bolts around the edge, later type has 3 bolts in the center.


Offline the cat

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 21
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #58 on: 05 October 2010, 21:24 »
good luck with this, ill be keeping a close eye on it
drive it like you stole it

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #59 on: 05 October 2010, 22:49 »
Superlight body panels, 13in sticky rubber, wee 16v screamer, could be a bit of a giggle. If you decide to start a build thread, post a link as would be interested in your progress. I tuned my 1.6 Driver to keep up with GTi's and leave them for dead in the twisties, but I'm older now and have opted for a dirty three letter engine code in my current Golf :grin:


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.