Author Topic: best place to get wishbones and such?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline lenny84

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 29
best place to get wishbones and such?
« on: 26 September 2010, 11:06 »
does anyone have any recommendations for best quality and price for suspension bits?

I'm replacing the wishbones, anti roll bar links and track rod ends on my gti 8v and want to make sure i don't get bits that i have to change again in a year!!

any help is appreciated as i've only just got the time to get back on with my project car and i'm still in the process of digging all of the problems out of the rust!!

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2010, 12:18 »
These are meant to be decent. Dont quote me on that.  I think ben lassini (sp) did all his a few months ago, he should be along soon

http://www.vwheritage.com/bbt/Suspension-Steering-Drivetrain/Standard/Front-Suspension/?templateID=bbt


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2010, 13:11 »
Hey ho!

Its a mixed bag on most pattern suspension components. I got mine from ECP (Q-Drive) with the bushes already in:



It was only about £20. The only problem people say they have with pattern 'bones is that if you ever choose to polybush them - the polybushes sit a little looser than in a VAG bone. But otherwise, most folk on here an cGTi are pretty content.

I got a Q-drive wishbone (apparently they are crap - but I've had no issues) as that's all they had in, but get the Lemforder one as it is OEM.

The wishbones aren't sided IIRC - so they're both the same.

Ps. this might come in handy http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg1381183#msg1381183

The general consensus is:

Q-Drive are rubbish
Febi/Bilstein are rubbish -  http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=493
Topran are okay - http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/vw/golf/golf2/frontsusp/191-407-151b.html
Lemforder are good - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.8_1986/p/Car-Parts/Suspension-and-Steering/Suspension/Suspension-Arms-and-Joints/?616440055&1&8b6937e70003a9dedef3698d2002bcc581a86fc6&SUAR

But the above is all hearsay - just what I've read on other forums.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 13:27 by Ben Lessani »

Offline lenny84

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 29
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2010, 18:30 »
thanks fellas,

think i'll be getting the lemforder ones as they're oem quality. i had a nightmare getting the front bolts undone on my wishbones so i'll be having all new bolts/ballljoints/arb links while its out so it could be a sizeable order soon!!

at least i'll be happier when they're done.

cheers ben for the link to your project, it'll be used extensively as the haynes book can be a bit sketchy on some things!

its good to know people are happy to help another golf get back on the road!

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2010, 23:00 »
god im good


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2010, 00:25 »
Check out the dealer prices! many parts have been reduced in price to compete with the likes of GSF/Euro car parts, and it will be OE stuff that your buying!
Thom

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2010, 09:16 »
yer was at the stealers the other day, just for some lower shocker bolts and was expecting to get raped for them but they were £1.10 or somthing


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline lenny84

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 29
Re: best place to get wishbones and such?
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2010, 16:57 »
just got back from gsf!! they weren't too bad, bout £22 each for 'bones and £9 each for balljoints. need to go to dealers for new bolts tomorrow then i'm all ready to go.

oh yeah, and 2 new cv boots as mine are knackered. funny how you remember things as you're driving home!