Author Topic: dial swap  (Read 2803 times)

Offline jp123

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
dial swap
« on: 25 September 2010, 16:25 »
I was just wondering if speedo/rev counter from a 140 mph 1990 1.8 GTi would swap into my 1991 ryder with clock

Offline Simeon

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,264
Re: dial swap
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2010, 00:49 »
Just swap the whole units over. If you don't want the mfa then get set of clocks out of a Gl model (Iirc) as these have rev counter but no mfa

Offline jp123

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
Re: dial swap
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2010, 11:43 »
mfa?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: dial swap
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2010, 09:12 »
multi function indicator, its the computer thingy on the gti which shows mpg, oil temp etc. you wont have the wiring for this so it'll just work as a clock.  main thing is to check the gti clock plug(s), if it has 1 plug then will fit. if 2 then it wont
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jp123

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
Re: dial swap
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2010, 14:15 »
this is a pic of the back of the dials http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/Chantuz/For%20Sale/9
1d6a05d.jpg, any chance you could have a quick look and tell me if they are any good?

Offline jp123

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
Re: dial swap
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2010, 14:19 »

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: dial swap
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2010, 15:02 »
those are pre-90 ones with 2 plugs. also not keen on the wire from the resistors to the screw there, means it has PCB damage

your car has the hazard switch on top of the column yes? if so you need single plug clocks
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jp123

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
Re: dial swap
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2010, 16:21 »
yep mine has hazards on the column, so basically these are no good? how do i know which are the single plug ones?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: dial swap
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2010, 16:28 »
well, they only have 1 plug on the bottom ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Simeon

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,264
Re: dial swap
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2010, 16:35 »
Or if removing them yourself then just make sure the hazard switch is on the column and not on the dash :)