Author Topic: Dan_GTi8v, 20vt project  (Read 63410 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
Re: Dan_GTi8v, 20vt project
« Reply #230 on: 30 July 2012, 20:29 »
Yeah pattern, fits ok kinda crap in places but I'll probably adjust them a bit before painting. Meant to get pics but it got late and I forgot :P I'd definitely advise getting genuine over new pattern panels but I got these cheap from a guy who never fitted them
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #231 on: 03 August 2012, 21:23 »
No progress yet waiting for time and space to start the paint, should be doing my rear axle bushes over the weekend weather permitting. Got some pics of the new toys but that's all for now  :tongue:

Sealy electric spray gun

Paint and other goodies (the engine here is from the mini seen in some previous pics and is the reason I have no space  :angry:)

and some new febi bushes and a VW tool for fitting them. Its made for the mk4 so will need a bit of creativity to make it work but will no doubt make the job easier

Offline danmusic24

• I live here
« Reply #232 on: 05 August 2012, 07:35 »
Did you get those bushes in mate? Was that mk4 tool any help

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #233 on: 05 August 2012, 17:19 »
I haven't yet mate, the misses' contract just got sorted finally so we been house hunting not much time for the golf this weekend, the plan was to start spraying it up tomorrow but will see what happens now I may end up doing the bushes instead.

Good news is I think we found somewhere though and will be making an offer tomorrow morning, if it gets excepted and all goes well I will finally have a garage!  :smug:

Offline danmusic24

• I live here
« Reply #234 on: 05 August 2012, 20:19 »
Good luck mate! Where did you get your febi bushes from?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #235 on: 20 August 2012, 16:30 »
Ebay  :afro:

changed one side yesterday, time was short so I thought I'd get one side done to see what it was like and then get pics on the other side. Turned out a good idea because it was a f**king mission!

Doing the other side tomorrow so I'll get pics up along with whats involved, to use the tool I bought a bit of ingenuity is required  :laugh:

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #236 on: 20 August 2012, 16:31 »
Oh and also we got the house with 2 garages  :cool: so respray is on hold until we're moved in so I have a nice dry and wind free environment  :smug:

no more stone driveway fun for me!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #237 on: 23 August 2012, 14:37 »
here's what happened on Tuesday then....

started off like this, looking pretty worn and perished

dropped the beam

decided to drill the rubber through rather than burn it out and it came out quite easy, drilled through in 4 or 5 different places then prised the middle out with a screw driver

Now comes the fun part. Getting the metal sleeve out is a royal pain in the arse an took the best part of 2 hours of hammering chiseling cutting and lots and lots of swearing!

The other side I did the day before came out a lot easier than this side but was still a big job

Started by cutting a groove in the sleeve then chiseling along the cut about halfway and finishing off with a hammer. This is what I did to get the driver side one out no problem, took around 35-40 minuites. Passenger side was a different story! the sleeve had somehow for lack of technical terms expanded in the beam so I couldn't cut it without also cutting the beam. I didnt know this which is why it took so long to get it out. I cut as much as I could then when chiseling along the cut failed to show any results I resorted to brute force  :evil:

This is how it looke with a lip hammered into it before cutting

After a good hour of smashing it with a hammer it finally came out and I was left with this nice hole and a pile of scrap metal and perished rubber

Putting the new ones in was surprisingly easy with the tool, I just had to use various sockets so the tool sat flush against the bush and the pressure was applied to the metal case rather than the rubber when I tightened it up. Also on the last part I had to add 2 sockets to the other side as the thread on the tool runs out before the bush is all the way in.

and thats it! no pics of the finished product as I was running late for work, but its pretty simple stuff just jack the beam back into place and f**k about with it until the bolt holes line up

I now have a non squeaking rear beam  :cool:

Offline gti gaz

• I live here
« Reply #238 on: 24 August 2012, 21:18 »
nice job bud i had a mare with the gti gutted now as its in bits looks like i will be doing the vr next spring not looking forward to it one bit  :grin:

Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline sam1990

• Not said much yet
« Reply #239 on: 23 September 2012, 22:42 »
nice build mate, i think im going down the same route, i own a mk4 20v t and love the power but prefer the mk3 shape, were the mk4 seats easy to fit? im hoping to put my recaros from the mk4 into the mk3, also does the left hand side engine mount just bolt down onto the chassis rail?