Author Topic: Grr downpipe fitting  (Read 7303 times)

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2010, 18:34 »
If the thread is ok I think I would drill a hole small enough to get a socket head to it, much easier to repair the small hole, but getting that hole centred correctly on top is like trying to hear a Nat fart!
And doing it up requires the same just a longer deep socket for thread and two man job tighting it up!

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2010, 18:53 »
Ok cheers, think ive confused you, i havnt broke any bolts as of yet, but was just saying if i did brake a bolt then thats what id have to do, which i dont want to do.

, theres 4 bolts which are 13mm, ive just managed to get one off, but it isnt coming out even though the nut is off. I was looking at it and it doesnt even look like its holding the subframe to the car or anything. Its the two bolts in the centre of the pic.



And will I have to undo this bushing to get subframe out as it looks like that bolt bolts to the subframe, if only one bolt is left to undo on the wishbone i may aswell take them off and treat them as there rusty too!


Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2010, 18:57 »
Those two bolts (captive bolts) are what holds the steering rack retaining bracket on.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #23 on: 26 September 2010, 18:58 »
If they are captive nuts like Ben had said previously seriously get a mate to hold the nut still, after drilling access to it then underneath undo it!
 

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #24 on: 26 September 2010, 19:05 »
I was able to hold the nut with a spanner in the end, it doesn't feel like theres anything attached to it, ill just get all four off and see what happens.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #25 on: 26 September 2010, 19:07 »
Yeah how are you going to do them up though?
If the captive nut is loose rattling in the floor plan?  :evil:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #26 on: 26 September 2010, 19:13 »
What on earth are you actually undoing!? The rear, rear subframe bolt is 19mm (not 21mm), I can't remember what size the front, rear subframe bolt is - but its a damn site bigger than 13mm.



Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #27 on: 26 September 2010, 19:21 »
 :embarassed:

ahh well least i knows how to undo the steering rack brackets anyway lol

Ill need to get the frame off of the steering rack though want I? Ill probably have to remove my steering rack to get enough room for my downpipe anyway !

So they captive nut ill prob have problems with and will need a mate to hold it still.

Ill leave it for tonight as i cant see any more, and ive been an idiot and messed you both about thinking i needed to undo them steering rack bolts  :embarassed: sorry  :kiss:
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 19:25 by emery1990 »

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #28 on: 26 September 2010, 19:22 »
Is Ben and I wasting bandwidth again Emery? :evil:

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Grr downpipe fitting
« Reply #29 on: 26 September 2010, 19:26 »
Haha send me an invoice   :embarassed: your info hasnt gone to waste, ill just transfer it other the bolts that are ment to come off.!!

Oh right that captive nut is supposed to be welded on then, but if i snap off the welds then its going to be a pain. The rear one i should be able to get to and hold it still but the front ones out of sight and id have to grind a section away to get at it, so ill take it easy and just try not to snap the front one!!!
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 20:00 by emery1990 »