Author Topic: What do you hate most about your mark 2?  (Read 18065 times)

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2010, 08:41 »
+2 on dust on the rear window  :grin:

I also hate the way people moan about mk2's,they are old cars and require tlc and the occasional problem solving excersise,remember they are 20 year old cars I think they are more reliable than most! aslong as you keep on top of them,I love my mk2 and it's quirky faults!

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2010, 10:01 »
I hate the way that no matter how hard I try i'm always looking to improve it in some way! What was a small restro project has turned into a 6months later close to full restro project inc new interior etc etc!  :smiley:

But I must add even though i've had my fair share of grief with this project I still love it ! It is a 20year old car at the end of the day and faults are to be expected...

Also i'd much rather work on my mk2 than I would my much more modern dare I say it civic! That thing always seems to be going wrong!  :sad:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2010, 10:11 »
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2010, 10:44 »
Just remember we are all preserving a classic!

Rear end dust collection is a menace, mud flaps would of course help but dont look as good...

I often get derigitory comments when I tell non car enthusiast friends about my work on the car, these are often encouraged by me slagging some french piece of rubbish they drive. I have to point out that no one will be caring for any of their cars when they are 20 years old, as they will be a rusty cube, or already reformed into a dishwasher!

Ben, you will find the source of your problems im sure! You cant get a newer car- ive read your project thread, your car is a legend!

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2010, 10:59 »
The fact i have a g60 and dont really know what im doing...

I hope a new relay '80' is going to stop it misfiring..

Oh yea and the fact my rev gauge has a  mind of its own..

And that there is a flat spot at 3000rpm... i onlyget a chance to work on it at weekends as its dark when i leave in the morning and dark when i get home  :sad:

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2010, 11:40 »
NOWT!!!!  :laugh:

Just Love Her!!! :kiss:

Only Issue I have is With The Boge Turbo Inserts - But Thats not the Cars Fault.  It's Mine For Not Buying OEM Shocks!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2010, 13:35 »
well lets see. . . . :grin:

well i just hate the fact that i dont have the money to get it where i wnat right now, aside that its just silly little things liek the fact i wanted to get my wheel alignment done but when i was at Pro tyre the guy pointed out before they could do it I needed to replace my front top mounts and rear wheel bearings so they can do an accurate alignment

but things like only the passengerside electric window works, the car doesnt de mist very well, only the light on the speedometer works, so at night i cant really see how much petrol i have

again its just little things that I need to fix that aside and me crashing it, its a great car,

I have little patients though thats my problem :P Im gettign better, slowly!

Offline kittie

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 765
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2010, 14:47 »
The fact that I'm fairly sure the head gasket is going and I have no money to get it fixed  :cry:

But when it's right it never fails to bring a smile to my face even after 4 years, so it's all worth it in the end  :smiley:

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2010, 16:31 »
Rusted nuts  :angry: