Author Topic: What do you hate most about your mark 2?  (Read 18024 times)

Offline Simpson

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,104
  • one day il learn
What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« on: 20 September 2010, 22:34 »
Right need to rant about golf. Changed heater matrix the other day and now the old pipes are peeing water everywhere so every morning i have to top her up with over a litre of water! and too busy to put the dahs back together and also trying to find a leak from drivers side behind dash. I am sure its the windscreen seal but i don´t get why as i filled loads of sealant when i fitted it!

And also a leak from the boot which looks like it comes from the reat quarter but i have already sealed that up so i cant figure out where its coming from!
Oh and one of the pulleys is squeeking rather scarily! Sometimes i think i should sell and get a Lupo or something! sorry had to rant whats up with yours?  :smiley:
i must buy a new car!

Offline Mitching

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2010, 22:36 »
I love it, everything was running smoothly BUT.. went to get the wheels balanced today, turns out I need 4 new tyres, tracking, rear wheel bearing and CV joint  :shocked: :cry:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2010, 22:40 »
I drove over raised iron-works months ago and shafted something and still haven't figured out what. So it feels extremely vague, verging on damn near dangerous, but no amount of poking and prodding has shown anything is even loose.

Its developed a weird rear-end knock (following from the above).

The drivers-side foot-well is almost continually wet.

Even though I have replaced every engine mount, the engine is rocking like f**king crazy!

4 years of never ending repairs and now I hate it and am currently looking for a (newer) replacement car :'(

Offline Simpson

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,104
  • one day il learn
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2010, 22:51 »
I know they are great cars but sometimes there seems to be more to life than messing about under the bonnet o9f these cars. I would like to say stick at it but then i´d be hypocritical!

Oh as for your rear end knock not sure get it on a ramp! and as for the drivers side leak seal bonnet release cable, plate under ecu and windscreen seal dont think there is anywhere on that side they leak!
« Last Edit: 20 September 2010, 22:56 by Simpson »
i must buy a new car!

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2010, 23:00 »
The way the dust collects on the rear screen, after the shortest of drives

Thom

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2010, 23:06 »
I know they are great cars but sometimes there seems to be more to life than messing about under the bonnet o9f these cars.

Hate to say it but that sounds like old age kicking in fella!! :grin:

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 23:10 »
The 2 extra doors someone has put on the rear

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2010, 23:16 »
The way the dust collects on the rear screen, after the shortest of drives

Thom

+1

I was just about to start this thread.

I hate cleaning it. Its a chore with all the plastic trim to avoid whilst polishing/waxing etc.

Worst car to clean EVA :lipsrsealed:


also hate the scene tax :evil:
:)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2010, 00:49 »
I drove over raised iron-works months ago and shafted something and still haven't figured out what. So it feels extremely vague, verging on damn near dangerous, but no amount of poking and prodding has shown anything is even loose.

Its developed a weird rear-end knock (following from the above).


failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline OakeyDoak16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,063
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2010, 02:01 »
Right need to rant about golf. Changed heater matrix the other day and now the old pipes are peeing water everywhere so every morning i have to top her up with over a litre of water! and too busy to put the dahs back together and also trying to find a leak from drivers side behind dash. I am sure its the windscreen seal but i don´t get why as i filled loads of sealant when i fitted it!

And also a leak from the boot which looks like it comes from the reat quarter but i have already sealed that up so i cant figure out where its coming from!
Oh and one of the pulleys is squeeking rather scarily! Sometimes i think i should sell and get a Lupo or something! sorry had to rant whats up with yours?  :smiley:

Hi Chris.
As far as i know you are the king of leaky water. It sounds like your replacment matrix is either fecked or you need to look at the plumbing.
Is your rain water not coming in through your drivers doors? What about getting in  through the rear reg plate if the holding screw holes are rotten?
Happy mk2 ownership all the way mate, don't forget about the old skool if you need any advice / info.
Baz  :smiley: