Work around?
Yes, it means you don't need a bloody hydro pedal box.
It means everything just bolts up.
Seems to work just fine on my and DannyP's Golfs. 
Hmmmn, seems to be a divided opinion. Having driven neither I'm a bit lost as to which will suit me better. Plus there is no one local to me who has one to compare.
Heard that there can be issues with getting the biting point correct and it can impede speedy progress up and down the 'box? Is this bollox?
I will be using the car daily and v.occasional trackday hooliganism.
seat setup was good enough for seat to use on production cars. tho hydralic is better its much titing about
Having spent today looking for a hydraulic setup with no success, did find a B2 passat and a B3 VR6 Passat Estate for sale not far from me but nothing actually useful, seems I might have a better chance of scoring what I need from a SEAT.
I am, however, having filthy thoughts about that VR Estate.... the possibilities....
