Author Topic: Few ABF installation Questions  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Few ABF installation Questions
« on: 17 September 2010, 18:50 »
Have been doingf a search regarding this but haven't found definitive answers tomy questions.

I'm hoping to get the Abf plonked inmy 91 16v come October.

I'm also hoping to pop the mk3 box in as well (2E) i think.

1)Confused as to how to change the car from rod to cable change? There is a bolt on mod or some such from a SEAT that will work?

2)Do I need to change my brake servo?

3) Replacing engine mounts whilst I'm there. Motofactor says that there is no difference in rear mounts ie. G60 and the list says something about front left and right engine mounts? I thought I wanted a 1.3 front and G/box mount?

I'm in the process of grinding out the rot and welding in new metal and basically trying to do an "Overhaulin'" in the next few weeks, except there is just me and not a cast of thousands :grin:

This is my first conversion so forgive the noob questions.

Cheers in advance NB

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2010, 20:19 »
1)Confused as to how to change the car from rod to cable change? There is a bolt on mod or some such from a SEAT that will work?

You need the box, flywheel and clutch (which should be on the ABF anyway), a cable clutch actuator on the gearbox (SEAT or v. early Passat 3), clutch cable (Seat Toledo 16V) and the front mount on the gearbox in its current install.

2)Do I need to change my brake servo?

No.

3) Replacing engine mounts whilst I'm there. Motofactor says that there is no difference in rear mounts ie. G60 and the list says something about front left and right engine mounts? I thought I wanted a 1.3 front and G/box mount?

There definitely is a difference in the rear ENGINE mount everything else vs G60.  There are three mounts - 1. the front one 2. the gearbox and 3.the rear engine mount. 

1. standard GTI
2. 1.3
3. G60

Should see you right.

Good luck with the pox.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2010, 08:55 »
Try and get a toledo ABF its a peice off piss then

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2010, 16:39 »
Cool, cheers for the knowledge guys.

Should also clarify that I have the ABF from my old Mk3 sitting on the subframe c/w g/box and driveshafts still attached.

The "cable clutch actuator on the gearbox" does anyone have a part number or even better a picture of one?  :nerd:

DH, I'll give SEAT a shout regarding these parts as I get a discount through another forum membership. As an aside did you find the S3 wishbone bushes an improvement?

Have had my loom away and back to rubjonny who waved the magical sonic screwdriver at it to make it "plug and play". Hopefully with that out of the way I'll focus on the physicality of fitting the engine G/box combo.

Have a 4 branch on my KR, this should fit the ABF with a bit of jiggery pokery?
Still have the exhaust from the mk3 both are magnex s/s so should be able to knock up something pretty respectable.
Which also reminds me I have misplaced my Lambda probe so where is best place to get a replacement and what is the ball park price for them as the one's I've seen on Ebay are pretty steep.

Been stripping the shell for paint/ welding on the driveway, I have full on manflu, and am feeling a bit sorry for myself.


Cheers  NB

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2010, 19:02 »
With a little searching on here you should be able to find the part numbers for all of the bits you require.

Lambda = GSF/ECP.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2010, 10:31 »
Will update with the stuff I've found when I get in tonight, think I've found the gear selector thing from an Ibzia 16v.

Going to double check about SEAT clutch cable as was quoted 35.00 for it which I thought was a tad steep? Doing this on a shoestring :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 13:56 »
£35 sounds cheap - it's an auto-adjuster one.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2010, 18:02 »
Roit slight change of tack, been discussing elsewhere the best course for fitting ABF with CDA g/box.

Been advised that SEAT setup is pants and was a "work around" and that fitting a hydro setup similar to that of a B3 B4 passat or G60 Golf i s a far better bet?

Anyone else got any info on what parts are required and where to get hold of the right bits?

Cheers


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2010, 18:59 »
Work around?

Yes, it means you don't need a bloody hydro pedal box.

It means everything just bolts up.

Seems to work just fine on my and DannyP's Golfs.  :undecided:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Few ABF installation Questions
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2010, 19:55 »
seat setup was good enough for seat to use on production cars.  tho hydralic is better its much titing about
all the VW's have gone bar 1.