Author Topic: Gearbox rocking and a rolling  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« on: 16 September 2010, 10:36 »
When I’m changing gear or setting off my gearbox rocks, the MOT bloke said it was loose but nothing to worry about but im pretty sure It has got a little worse since then. So how do I cure this? I did a quick google of mk2 gearbox mounts to no avail. Any sarcastic ‘use the search you tw@t and you get this super awesome guide on how to cure it’ links would be a welcome brucie bonus.


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2010, 13:11 »
If the gearbox is rocking, replace the gearbox mount, simples!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2010, 15:10 »
I dont know you well enough to call you a TW@T but just typed in gearbox mounts or engine mounts and fountains of information to trall through  :tongue:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?action=search2

Summerised
Apprently a 1.3 or 16V solid rubber one will do, but you need to drop the subframe to get bigger rubber mounts in. Plus putting bolts back the right way round helps :laugh:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2010, 16:21 »
Apprently a 1.3 or 16V solid rubber one will do, but you need to drop the subframe to get bigger rubber mounts in. Plus putting bolts back the right way round helps :laugh:

There's a wrong way round ?

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2010, 17:45 »
Apprently a 1.3 or 16V solid rubber one will do, but you need to drop the subframe to get bigger rubber mounts in. Plus putting bolts back the right way round helps :laugh:

There's a wrong way round ?

Ha ha, oh dear!


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2010, 18:08 »
heres the thread it was suggested a possible cause of knocking even after mount was changed LOL :laugh:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=47561.msg373752;topicseen

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Gearbox rocking and a rolling
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 10:04 »
think you mean the 2 bolts thru the metal bracket on the front of the box, if you fit em the wrong way they'll hit the chassis leg. no need to drop the subframe, what you do is unbolt the alloy gear linkage bracket thats bolted onto the box with 3 bolts thru the diff casing, then you can get the bigger mounts out
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.