Author Topic: Main dealer servicing  (Read 6137 times)

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2010, 14:54 »
You boys must have some pretty shody dealers round your way.

I use South Hereford Garages, and on the whole (apart from the desk jockey) they are fairly clued up and helpfull. Parts boys have been extremely helpfull with sourcing supposedly discontinued parts. Sometimes parts have been carried over onto later models and given new part numbers, but they seem to be able to cross reference them and get me what I need.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2010, 15:07 »
You boys must have some pretty shody dealers round your way.

I use South Hereford Garages, and on the whole (apart from the desk jockey) they are fairly clued up and helpfull. Parts boys have been extremely helpfull with sourcing supposedly discontinued parts. Sometimes parts have been carried over onto later models and given new part numbers, but they seem to be able to cross reference them and get me what I need.

My Local VW dealer is Pretty Good... But Pricey... They also now have problems getting Audi parts, VW Van parts etc. As VW have told them that they are only a car dealer so can olny supply car parts.... STUPID or what... They can get me Audi parts as they also have an Audi dealership in thier group...

As for finding new part numbers its not the guys who find it... ETKA gives them all that info... Like all MK2 Front Top Mounts are all now the GTI MK3 parts... etc etc...It's not rocket science... Just press the mouse button... :tongue:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline tobz.

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,629
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2010, 15:34 »
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!


You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2010, 16:41 »
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!

Was it the old shape can or new ones becuase I usually pay £18 for Sinta silver from dealers with trade discount?

Its upto you if you get a good service and you can afford it then do it! Its your bloody car in the end no one elses, but these days I'm not rolling in it and if I can save 60% doing it myself I will. Stamps are overated MOT certs on the other hand are more important like people have said any monkey can make potatoes stamps my child is gifted at them! :grin: 

Offline tobz.

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,629
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2010, 17:29 »
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!

Was it the old shape can or new ones becuase I usually pay £18 for Sinta silver from dealers with trade discount?
 

New shape can, that was the first thing I noticed when I went to pick it up.


You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline dadrathers

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 385
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2010, 20:23 »
It is no surprise that both service and parts are variable.

You can understand the parts guys.

What year is it?
96 I think
1.6 or 1.8?
1.8 I think
is it the left hand widget or right hand widget you want?
Don't know.


Eventullay, "Next"
Me
Have you got 191 863 201E - price and availability?

They loooove me!
On first name terms - even
But I have some good guys in PARTS.

Inverse rant over!  :smiley:

Offline bvr

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 13
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #26 on: 17 September 2010, 20:31 »
I would love to own a car with proper service history, big ups tae dubber36!!

It is no surprise that both service and parts are variable.

You can understand the parts guys.

What year is it?
96 I think
1.6 or 1.8?
1.8 I think
is it the left hand widget or right hand widget you want?
Don't know.


Eventullay, "Next"


Ha ha, bang on the money me thinks!!!!
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Offline JMallows

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,281
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2010, 20:35 »
Despite my rant I have to disagree with those that say main dealers are generally pricey. Yeah certain things are expensive but basic service parts tend to be very reasonable. For example the 5litre can of synta silver that I bought at my local dealers last week was £12.50!!! Now that is quite a bit cheaper than it would be from GSF!!!

This is exactly the reason i went in to see them, you arent the first one to say their service parts are cheap, i've heard it before. Just the person in the parts dept couldnt sort me out with anything decent!


A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2010, 00:29 »
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.

I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?

How the f**k can you not appreciate that in a few years someone will pay a little extra for a 30 year old golf with a service book full of dealer service stamps rather than one with just some random mot certs?


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2010, 01:23 »
Easy...

The MOT's ALONG with the proper stamps and the Invoice's showing that the car has been properly looked after would mean more to me than a service book full of stamps from a main dealer JUST with an oil change every 12 months... Sorry but that means the seller has just cut corners to be anal about keeping the book stamped...

So you mean to tell me that a service book with 100% dealer stamps means that the car has been well looked after & maintained regardless of cost...I Think not..

Would you trust an 18 year old lad who has just left VW the training ground to do a PROPER service and INSPECTION on a 20 year old car (that is older than Him) and know all the faults to look for... Nahhh... Bullock's to that I want a proper mechanic and enthusiast to look after my car...

No Offence to the OP

As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.

I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?

How the f**k can you not appreciate that in a few years someone will pay a little extra for a 30 year old golf with a service book full of dealer service stamps rather than one with just some random mot certs?

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!