Author Topic: Main dealer servicing  (Read 6127 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2010, 22:15 »
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.

I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?

Damn!

Beat me to it.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2010, 22:25 »
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.

I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?

Superb Quote - Just peed myself laffin at it....

Sorry OP... But it does seem a bit pointless - I would sooner spend £125.00 for a proper annual service at my local VW specialist who only deals in older VW's and owns a MK2 Valver himself...

What he don't Know about MK2's aint worth knowing!!
« Last Edit: 16 September 2010, 22:52 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2010, 22:41 »
just admit you dont know how to do it yourself.


Offline Simeon

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,264
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2010, 22:47 »
Jeez, give the guy a break and let him spend his 60quid as he sees fit

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2010, 08:13 »
I get what you lads are saying, but on the other hand spending £150 for a full service at a specialist seems rather pointless as well as the car does hardly any miles.

As for adding value, I really don't care how much my car may or may not be worth, now or in the future as I intend to keep it for ever. It's the car I wanted 20 odd years ago, but could never afford to buy. It's best not to think of it as a car, but something nice to own. A bit like an antique piece of furniture or a painting on the wall, they serve no purpose at all, but are nice things to have.

Idiot? Maybe. I've been called a lot worse, but it's my car and I love it. :smiley:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2010, 12:02 »
I get what you lads are saying, but on the other hand spending £150 for a full service at a specialist seems rather pointless as well as the car does hardly any miles.

I get mine done by a specialist to keep the book upto date with a fully detailed reciept!! Also he know's what else to look for, to avoid problems in the future and to kepp her in tip top condition....

but it's my car and I love it. :smiley:

Respect  :cool:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline JMallows

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,281
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2010, 14:25 »
I thought i would go to the stealer to get my servicing stuff (but definately do it myself), as i was advised the parts were cheaper than G&S and better quality. Gave Reg no. and watched his eyebrows rise considerably, hmm, not sure if we can get parts that old he said... In the end i think he said he could get me three spark plugs, and he wouldnt order me an oil filter unless i bought ten of them, couldnt find the correct air filter or distributor cap, i gave up! Plus, the parts were much more expensive than what i paid when i went to the local motor factors!

Wish i had never gone in!

Incidentally, i would never go to main dealer for servicing (or anything really) as when i have been in there, even the oldest mechanic admitted he didnt have a clue, MK2 are too old for him etc... Also, my dad took in the passat (1988) and they put in the wrong spark plugs, and the car just would not run properly. And they are supposed to be the experts!


A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2010, 14:36 »
Who ever told you VAG parts were cheaper was a fool!!!

They are ALWAYS dearer!!! But you do get what you pay for.... I have to say that with my recent experances with after market or patten parts I will now ONLY fit VAG parts to my car unless they are NLA....

Just found out yesterday that VAG have discontinued the front brake PADS for 239mm discs.... MENTAL!!!!  :shocked:

I thought i would go to the stealer to get my servicing stuff (but definately do it myself), as i was advised the parts were cheaper than G&S and better quality. Gave Reg no. and watched his eyebrows rise considerably, hmm, not sure if we can get parts that old he said... In the end i think he said he could get me three spark plugs, and he wouldnt order me an oil filter unless i bought ten of them, couldnt find the correct air filter or distributor cap, i gave up! Plus, the parts were much more expensive than what i paid when i went to the local motor factors!

Wish i had never gone in!

Incidentally, i would never go to main dealer for servicing (or anything really) as when i have been in there, even the oldest mechanic admitted he didnt have a clue, MK2 are too old for him etc... Also, my dad took in the passat (1988) and they put in the wrong spark plugs, and the car just would not run properly. And they are supposed to be the experts!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Chris-White

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,840
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2010, 14:42 »
I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...

It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:


Ever tried to get stuff for your S2 from an audi dealership? i got some pretty classic responses from them, including asking wether it was a sports version of an a2  :undecided:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2010, 14:50 »
Yeah I have heard that before also from GSF.... The S2forum has a guy who works for TPS and is very handy to deal with as he knows them inside out...

Audi Dealers are a waste of space.... Unless you have the part numbers - Which I do as I have a copy of ETKA!!!

I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...

It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:


Ever tried to get stuff for your S2 from an audi dealership? i got some pretty classic responses from them, including asking wether it was a sports version of an a2  :undecided:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!