Author Topic: Engine's  (Read 4338 times)

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2010, 23:44 »
mk2 engine swaps can be anything from 3 - 24 man hours.   depending on general condition of the bolts your undoing, and what else needs to be replaced on or swaped over to the new engine and any teething problems with the "new" motor

my usual min parts list is

cambelt, cambelt tensoner, aux belt,  thermostat, oil, oil filter, antifreeze, plastic water flanges, plugs.

recomended list adds.  waterpump , clutch, cranck end seal and cranck sensor ( if abf )
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2010, 18:11 »
Cheers for that mate, my timing belt/water pump is only a month or 2 old so figure I can get away with using them?

:)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2010, 18:23 »
Plus gas helped alot in removing old rusted nuts etc when removing my exhaust manifold. get it from amazon for about a tenner. (saying that i did end up grinding the downpipe out  to remove it!!)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2010, 18:37 »
Cheers for that mate, my timing belt/water pump is only a month or 2 old so figure I can get away with using them?

:)

Water pump will be fine.

Once the timing belt has been removed/un-tensioned it should be replaced.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2010, 18:59 »
Cheers will add new timing belt kit and plus gas to the list (should the compression test tell me it's a ring!) although I have been told a few times that valve stem seals are pretty common on these! =]

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2010, 19:14 »
Stem seals are more likely than rings, but a wet compression test should give you an indication.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2010, 20:03 »
I'll be extremely happy if it is just the stem seals, if not then the rings have been screwed since I bought it !

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2010, 20:44 »
Sorry to hijack, but how much would it cost to completely rebuild an engine, yourself? or is there maching work involved?

Mines on unknown mileage but was bought at 100k ex put 30k on that so must be about 140k on a 9a? Are they as strong as the krs?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2010, 21:23 »
Sorry to hijack, but how much would it cost to completely rebuild an engine, yourself? or is there maching work involved?

That depends on what you consider as being part of a rebuild, what tools you own, where you buy the parts and ultimately, who you know ;)

A rebuild could just be the essentials, rings, shells, valve guides and seals.

... Or it could be crank lightening, knife-edging and balancing, flywheel lightening and balancing, bore re-hone, rings, shells, big ends, crank seal, head gasket, head bolts, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, crank seal, valve guides, stem seals, valves, tappets, valve springs, spring seats, valve grind, head skim, rocker seal, sump seal, oil pump pickup, timing belt, tensioner .... yada yada yada.

The rebuild cost is what you want it to be, £10 - £100,000 :)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2010, 21:53 »
No worries buddy, these things are always good to know! If I ended up rebuilding I'd end up forging it and maybe charge it, but then I don't have that kind of money :(