Author Topic: Engine's  (Read 4359 times)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Engine's
« on: 12 September 2010, 19:03 »
Hi all, going to get a compression test done in a week or two when I get time to see if it's my stem seals that are deffo the problem and not the rings!
However if it is the rings I think It might be worth me getting an engine (with warrenty) and getting that fitted.

Any Idea how much it'll cost for someone to remove and refit an identical engine?

Cheers

Rich.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 18:26 by lingl9z »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2010, 19:06 »
Hi all, going to get a compression test done in a week or two when I get time to see if it's my stem seals that are deffo the problem and not the rings!
However if it is the rings I think It might be worth me getting an engine (with warrenty) and getting that fitted.

Any Idea how much it'll cost for someone to remove and refit an identical engine?

Cheers

Rich.

Most places charge £500-1000, but its a 1/2 day DIY job with 2 people - not many special tools required, just the XYZ triple square for the driveshafts.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2010, 19:19 »
Wow that's quiet a bit lol! Guess I will find someone to try and tackle it with (should it be the piston rings)

Cheers for the reply mate!

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2010, 19:38 »
What would you reccomend replacing when swapping an engine?

timing belt kit
water pump
oil pump?
 anything else? =]

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2010, 19:41 »
Depends on what you are swapping exactly and the source of the engine.

If you are only buying a block - you just swap everything off your current block.

If you are buying a complete engine, I'd fit it and make sure it runs, then all I'd replace is oil, filter + belts.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2010, 20:18 »
Cheers for that mate sounds good to me!

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2010, 20:32 »
I agree with Ben: oil, filter, and belts.  Also the cambelt tensioner. :afro:

(I really should take my own advice one of these days  :grin: )

An engine swap can be done in 1/2 a day on the driveway with a mate, but only if you've done it before and nothing goes wrong I reckon. 

Of course, things like exhaust manifold nuts and engine mount alignment can be a b!tch, so I would allow a good weekend. :wink: 

An engine crane would be useful if you can borrow one, but if not, multiple jacks and straps should do so long as you have a helper or two.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 20:39 by fishnchipsx2 »

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2010, 21:01 »
Thanks for the reply buddy, I guess before I do anything I'll soak all nuts/bolts that will need to be removed in heaps of WD40 =]

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2010, 21:10 »
Thanks for the reply buddy, I guess before I do anything I'll soak all nuts/bolts that will need to be removed in heaps of WD40 =]

Don't bother soaking any bolts in WD40 - you'll only be making the bolt head wet, nothing else.

The only thing worth spraying is exposed threads on studs - of which there aren't many.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Replacement Engine
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2010, 21:27 »
Duely noted! :)