Author Topic: Mk2 locks  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Mk2 locks
« on: 03 September 2010, 18:40 »
Hi guys, my central locking not working ATM on my mk2, now the boot lock is different to the doors/ignition/glove box, now I was thinking as I never lock my glove box would the lock from the glove box fit the boot lock? If I change the lock barrels over?

Any advice be good guys

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2010, 19:14 »
Ull probably find your central locking has stopped working because a vaccum hose has come off of the solenoid in the drivers door or the pump in the boot,this is what happened to mine.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2010, 20:03 »
Hi guys, my central locking not working ATM on my mk2, now the boot lock is different to the doors/ignition/glove box, now I was thinking as I never lock my glove box would the lock from the glove box fit the boot lock? If I change the lock barrels over?

Any advice be good guys

Nope, it dont fit dude :(

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2010, 20:04 »
Mine stopped working tother day. pump kept wurring whilst trying to lock. one of the vac pipes came off in the nsr door. its a v simple system really, all the door locks are actuated by vacuum so have no 12v feed. only powered items are osf door actuator and the vac pump on the boot. have u checked the fuse?


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2010, 20:14 »
Simple test blow down the vac pipe see what happens? If all doors except the drivers door opens it means the pump is proberly done. Check the drivers door if the solenoid is opening up by sticking 12V across it, if not its proberly knackard. Its like £5.00 off Ebay for replacement. Usually if people have issues with drivers door the solenoid bellows have perished and has no suction to pull the rod back or its burnt out?
 

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2010, 21:30 »
central locking dont work on iver door passenger or drivers, i need to replace the doors at some point anyway as drivers is welded on hynge and starting to rust and passanger is peeling paint and a really bad fit so gonna get 2 doors and gt them sprayed, will take door pannels off this sunday and check the pumps, i have looked at fuse box all fuses look ok, but not 100% sure what fuse it is as fuse cover dosent have central locking option on it. i do need central locking sorted as cant open fuel cover have to get a thin screwdriver and push the catch open (get some strange looks in petrol station).

i need to get a new lock for boot anyway as no key come with car so i might buy a lock kit i seen about £55 and has ignition/drivers and passengers door and boot all in one key which would be good to have everything under 1 key

 

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2010, 10:02 »
glovebox lock is no good as it different, cant even swap pins over as it doesnt have as many as the boot lock. swap over the passenger door lock pins, then fit a rear door handle to delock it. you got central lockin anyway so no need to have a passenger door lock. on mine i delocked both doors and fitted remote central locking, left just the boot lock in for emergencies
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2010, 13:46 »
DONT BUY AFTERMARKET HANDLES.

they wear out, then you cant open your door  :angry:

you get what you pay for  :wink:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2010, 15:15 »
A slight alternative to what RJ suggested would be to remove the boot lock, and file the tumbler pins to match they key you have, or get additional spare tumblers to match to the key.

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Mk2 locks
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2010, 22:01 »
im gonna prob buy a lock kit off ebay and not use the aftermarket handles that come with it just swap the lock barrells then i have origional handles still. and strangley enough crntral locking working again now but wont last lol.