Author Topic: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2010, 20:19 »
I'm goin to change the throw out bearing tmmorow now I have all the bits,I've read the guide on the brokevw site and it all sounds pretty straight forward and simple enough,has anyone already changed there throw out (thrust) bearing and can confirm it's easy to do,I'm pretty handy with a spanner but in no means a wizzard!  :grin:

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2010, 21:52 »


For your benifit, though I have never done this, i will say it is as easy as falling off a log :smiley:

Good luck and kudos for getting stuck in. Wish I was changing thrust bearings rather than going to stupid work :sad:
 Let us know how you get on.


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2010, 22:25 »


For your benifit, though I have never done this, i will say it is as easy as falling off a log :smiley:

Good luck and kudos for getting stuck in. Wish I was changing thrust bearings rather than going to stupid work :sad:
 Let us know how you get on.



Will do bud! and im gonna do it when i get back from work,id like nothing more than to mess about with dubs all day  :cool:

Offline GTi_Lee

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 60
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2010, 11:44 »
Sorry to hijack but could someone put a picture of this cap up please? Is this the cap that fits in the hole above the flywheel? I'm looking to replace this cap but not sure what to ask for, or whether this is what you're discussing.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2010, 18:33 »
The one you want is not the cap we are talking about,the cap you need is the timing cover.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2010, 18:01 »
How'd you get on then bud?

Thrust bearing sorted?

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2010, 18:28 »
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2010, 18:37 »
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:

Yikes, just as well it it did that on the ground than in the 'box. Good job though. Will have a look at your write up tomorrow. Away out in wee bit so will save it for when I'm feeling sorry for myself on the couch on sunday afternoon :wink:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2010, 18:42 »
yep all done matey! and problem cured. :cool: check out my write up i did in the maintenance section!  :wink: when i pulled the little bugger out it literally fell into 3 pieces  :shocked:

Yikes, just as well it it did that on the ground than in the 'box. Good job though. Will have a look at your write up tomorrow. Away out in wee bit so will save it for when I'm feeling sorry for myself on the couch on sunday afternoon :wink:

 :laugh: have a good one mate,im having a night in tonight as im up at the crack of dawn tommorow for Edition 38,its a 2 hour drive so think ill go in my mk3  :grin: :smiley:

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2010, 15:17 »
My poor brain... :grin:

Was good though. Mates are going down to Ed38. I still haven't made it to a major show in my life :sad:
Sure I'll get the update when they get back but did go and see the Touring car to cheer myself up :cool:

Hope you had a good time at ED38, good write up by the way on thrust bearings and that :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.