Author Topic: Problems with my drivers door card  (Read 3266 times)

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Problems with my drivers door card
« on: 26 August 2010, 18:23 »
so the clips that hold the bottom in place are longer doing there job and well the door  card itself is suffering from some damp and is slowly falling apart as more moisture gets in and with all the rain we have had doesn't help matters, ive tried to clip it back in place but de to the wear at the bottom its gone, well a bit floopy I fear that the longer this goes on the more ruined its going to get :P

any suggestions or it may look like a new door card may be in order? will be a pain as wont match but rather a dry door card than a soggy one :( dreading the winter months im sure its going to be a winter filled with problems

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2010, 18:30 »
Gaffa tape. :grin:

If it's got wet a lot it's ruined. You might be able to dry it out and re back the bottom with fibreglass and add new clips.

nick

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2010, 18:51 »
Have you not got any door membranes then Stink?


Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2010, 18:53 »
you could use fibreglass on the inside to strengthen it until you get a new one.


Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2010, 18:56 »
its getting wet due to either a split/unattached door membrane, and/or a seal missing around the window.

Both are easy, cheap, common sense fixes

It will need sorting or you'll ruin another doorcard!



I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2010, 19:16 »
its getting wet due to either a split/unattached door membrane, and/or a seal missing around the window.

Both are easy, cheap, common sense fixes

It will need sorting or you'll ruin another doorcard!



yeah basically the very bottom of the door card is a bit fooked ill take it off and see what i can do in the mean time, the problem being that they are leather trimmed, it was one of my plans to eventually re trim the interior and get the door cards front and back re trimed as they arent that well done! but will see

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2010, 20:42 »
Is it two door? like these?

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2010, 20:51 »
yeah its a 2 DR  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2010, 20:57 »
If you can wait I might have a set for sale soonish PM if your interested fella?
Jay
 

Offline gibby

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,619
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Problems with my drivers door card
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2010, 23:37 »
....and before the winter, do step one of this link. http://www.matey-matey.com/leak_prevention.shtml

I used the old membranes as a template and did about three layers on my old Rallye. It stopped the leak though that's for sure.
......now officially dubless.