Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Oil Cooler
« on: 15 August 2010, 23:52 »
My oil temp sits at 98, so i wanna get it back down to 80 which is near enough standard temp. My turbo has an oil feed to it and from it, would i simply be able to split the outlet line and push it though a front mounted oil cooler and then let it drop the sump? Is it that simple or am i missing somthing??


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2010, 00:17 »
What's wrong with 98 degrees?

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2010, 09:35 »
It's two off 100, which is simply not good enough.

Stop mithering about it and go back to what you were doing previously.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2010, 09:39 »
What's wrong with 98 degrees?
+1

90-110 is a safe operating boundary for OIL.

75-90 is a safe operating boundary for WATER.

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2010, 09:41 »
If you want one you need a sandwich plate off your filter pick up and then an oil cooler in the front grill. Have a look on eBay for Mocal ones.

98 is OK though.

Nick

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2010, 12:35 »
Ah ok, just its always used to sit at 80, then put different oil in (much better oil) and it sits alot higher just thought that it was a little to high.

I will go back to what i was doing previously  :undecided:


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2010, 13:13 »
Ah ok, just its always used to sit at 80, then put different oil in (much better oil) and it sits alot higher just thought that it was a little to high.

Well, there is always the risk that your oil temp gauge is reading wrong and that your new oil is too thin and breaking down when hot.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2010, 18:23 »
I'm surprised it's not higher with a turbo in this weather!

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2010, 21:34 »
Its only a baby turbo, could go much much bigger but its my daily. I will just leave it how it is then if all seems well with you guys! Thanks for the advice  :smiley:


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.