Author Topic: Anyone use spring assistors?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Anyone use spring assistors?
« on: 11 August 2010, 17:33 »
Been down the garage to try and figure out what the scraping is, and they said it's the tyres on the arches (I thought it might be, but there wasn't any marks on the tyres so ruled that out) and the guy mentioned spring assistors, that go between the springs so they don't compress, meaning the ride height will stay (roughly) the same. He said they're used on cars that tow caravans, would these affect a car negatively (except for stiffer ride) if used daily??

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2010, 17:43 »
They can (and will) regularly fall out as they are meant to fit between the coils with a constant load bearing down on them (other than that of the cars weight)

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2010, 18:02 »
Could you not use some kind of adhesive on them?

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2010, 18:30 »
Probably yes, but what would be the point as you couldn't glue them on both sides, which would mean the car would rebound either up or down and then go effectively coil bound on the spring assistors.

If you are scrubbing on the front, then lower profile tyres, arch rolling, or arch pulling should sort it out, for a lot less hassle than spring assistors.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2010, 22:59 »
Spring assistors aren't the most elegant pieces of equipment... I'd even make bigger bumpstops before using them, altho it wouldn't exactly be ideal for your handling.

Here's the best solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsKTfQ5oDw

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2010, 00:10 »
I'd just roll them properly before butchering them with angle grinder, but that's just me.

Also using an angle grinder removes strength from the front arch and you can run into real problems on the rear as it is double skinned. Worst case this might lead to loss of structural integrity as the inner and outer skins seperate from each other.
Basically, if you don't know what you're doing get someone who does to do it for you.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2010, 00:11 »
mate of mine has had a pair on the front of his 8valve for a number of years without issue....

I did question whether they do anything, but he says while they cause no problems he will leave them in situ...

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2010, 00:21 »
used them on a car in the past. cable ties ftw.

ride was much more firm. Just stopped the front wheels touching the arch around bumpy corners
:)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2010, 01:32 »
Put the poor car back to a sensible ride height.... No Issues then... :lipsrsealed:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: Anyone use spring assistors?
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2010, 14:36 »
It's not even ridiculously low, it's just where I've got ET24 BMW E30 wheels on it, and it's only the rear wheels that scrub, mainly O/S, I don't really have trouble with the N/S side, even when I've got someone sat in the back on the N/S, it's still mostly only the O/S that rubs, unless it's a big person